Moderator: longfxukxnhair

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 8 times

Has anyone here upgraded their C5 OT to Mercury Magnetics

Postby FullMetalHippie » 16 Mar 2013, 20:20

I was wondering if anyone here has upgraded their output transformer to the Mercury Magnetics one and added the choke? I've seen people writing good things about them, but the upgrade could cost more than the head.

I would be willing to do enough research to buy the OT & choke and do the work myself, but I understand that techs get a much better price, so factoring that in it might be better to have it done by a pro. I wish I could A/B a stock and upgraded C5 to know if the cost makes sense.

Fargen quoted me the same price as for a Vox 15 Watt NT which is $500.00 (and he replaces caps and bits) and my head only cost $295! I am waiting to hear back from Bill at Austin Vintage Guitars for his quote and suggestions.

*I will be running a pedalboard in front with a Wah, Tuner, Dynacomp, and Shaky Jimi Vibe (I love that thing!) with the thing dimed, so the difference would need to be heard though that chain, as opposed to a purist straight to amp tone.

Thanks in advance for your advice! :Cheers
Marshall Class 5 Head
ESP LTD EC-1000T/CTM Traditional Custom (the Cherry Sunburst w/Duncan Alnico's)
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Has anyone here upgraded their C5 OT to Mercury Magnetic

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Mar 2013, 20:24

I think the iron Marshall uses today in there amps is very good. Mercury makes a good transformer but IMO I don't think it would be money well spent on a C5. Another words I don't think you would hear a tone improvement over the stock transformer.

You could always try the MM tranny, the mod should not be that much. Ben can do it for you or you can contact my friend Curt Granger at Granger amps, he does great work at a fair price. You could pump up the watts also it you wanted to get a bigger transformer.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 18 Mar 2013, 21:00

You're probably right there Surf. :Thumbs I'll be posting some sound samples here in a few days.
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor
Has Liked: 404 times
Been liked: 599 times

Postby ClassicRock88 » 19 Mar 2013, 17:37

Surf I am intrigued, now. How would you increase the actual power output of the amp with a larger transformer? I understand the basics of the interplay between tubes and transformers but I thought that 5 watts was the theoretical RMS limit for a single EL84 in Class A. Isn't that why all of the single power tube amps out there run at 4-7 watts?

If you can give a C5 a noticeable power increase from an upgraded transformer I'm all ears.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 20 Mar 2013, 13:22

You'd probably have to add additional power tubes until you had the desired watts, then the transformer upgrade.

But I need my amp to be low watt so I'm set. And with the EL844 power tube I really love the sound as is! :yea
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

Return to “Marshall Class 5”