falkman
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Class 5 resistor fried (help)

Postby falkman » 28 Aug 2013, 15:52

Hey guys!

I've been hanging around anonymously for a while and just soaking up all the knowedge that is available on this forum.
But now my trusty Class 5 has stopped working. First it started cutting out, just like if your cord would be malfunctioning, but then the sound came back. It kept cutting in and out for a while before going silent and smoke started coming out of it. I opened it up but couldn't find what was burning and put it back together and played it for a while before it started cutting out again, and after a while there was smoke again. When I opened it up the second time I saw that R5 had burnt up. It looked like it had burst open.
I have an early version (early 2010), I'm using a Sovtek el84M and I haven't been pushing the amp this much before with this tube. Also the power at my house is weird, there seems to be a lot of power surge at times.

So, anyone got a clue why R5 burned open? Is it the el84M that causing it, I've seen lots of other people having trouble with that tube (to bad because it sounds great!).
Changing R5 is no problem for me but it seems like a waste if there is an underlying problem. I would really appreciate your help on this matter. :)

BR

falkman

exotl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Class 5 resistor fried (help)

Postby exotl » 29 Aug 2013, 00:36

Hallo falkman & welcome to the roadhouse!

After a glimpse at the schematic I can hardly imagine anything but the dying EL84 to roast R5, so if it were my amp I would go ahead and replace it together with the tube. On the other hand I'm not an amp technician, so you better wait for some other members to chime in and confirm this.

Cheers

skinnyj
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 547 times
Been liked: 864 times

Postby skinnyj » 30 Aug 2013, 07:54

I have read that the Sovtek EL84M and this amp don't get along.

It may be tech time.
AX8
Marshall Class 5
ADA MP-1 (Version 1)
Line6 AX-212
2018 Gibson Firebird
1987 Les Paul Standard
2009 American Standard Strat
2015 PRS SE Torero
2018 Schecter Solo II Custom
Takamine EG531SC Acoustic

My Band: Fistful of Karma

falkman
<25
<25

Postby falkman » 02 Sep 2013, 12:06

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I'll just replace the resistor and get a new tube. Not sure if I'll go for an EL84M again though, loved the tone but don't want this happening again.

Any recomendations for tubes that sounds like the EL84M (less gain)?

/falkman

Stillhouse
<25
<25

Postby Stillhouse » 02 Sep 2013, 18:17

I just picked up a used C5 combo about a week ago and was looking at tube options. Heard a bunch of owners say the JJ EL844 is a good choice if you're looking for a little less power.

skinnyj
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 547 times
Been liked: 864 times

Postby skinnyj » 02 Sep 2013, 21:42

Stillhouse wrote:I just picked up a used C5 combo about a week ago and was looking at tube options. Heard a bunch of owners say the JJ EL844 is a good choice if you're looking for a little less power.
If I recall, the '844 isn't less power, it just has less headroom, meaning breakup comes earlier. I had one in my C5, but I cracked it while tube rolling, so I didn't get to spend enough time with it to form an opinion.
AX8
Marshall Class 5
ADA MP-1 (Version 1)
Line6 AX-212
2018 Gibson Firebird
1987 Les Paul Standard
2009 American Standard Strat
2015 PRS SE Torero
2018 Schecter Solo II Custom
Takamine EG531SC Acoustic

My Band: Fistful of Karma

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 03 Sep 2013, 06:47

skinnyj wrote:
Stillhouse wrote:I just picked up a used C5 combo about a week ago and was looking at tube options. Heard a bunch of owners say the JJ EL844 is a good choice if you're looking for a little less power.
If I recall, the '844 isn't less power, it just has less headroom, meaning breakup comes earlier. I had one in my C5, but I cracked it while tube rolling, so I didn't get to spend enough time with it to form an opinion.
I have these in my C5s. Yes, breakup does come sooner and although it's not a drastic change there is a drop in volume. They do give a nice crunch but I am considering changing them back out for just regular EL84s. It just goes back to what you want at the moment or the flavor of the month. Good tubes though for a slight reduction in volume and more crunch for playing at home in 5 watt mode.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”