Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Cameron26
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Class 5 no more?

Postby Cameron26 » 16 Jan 2016, 05:24

I love the tone of this. Now I see try don't make them anymore. I was thinking goin used. Is there a new version of this? I want nice bluesy Marshall tone.
Played with a strat.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Class 5 no more?

Postby surfnorthwest » 16 Jan 2016, 07:49

The Class 5 has been out of production for a couple of years now, it really is a great little amp for home. They can be found used pretty easy. As far as a direct replacement I don't think so, although Marshall will be launching some low watt amps this year, they won't be the same as the Class 5.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Torshalla
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2638 times
Been liked: 1527 times

Postby Torshalla » 16 Jan 2016, 13:56

So we should expect some low watt amps then? I am getting curious...

Cameron26
<25
<25

Postby Cameron26 » 17 Jan 2016, 02:25

Nice!you think it could be played in a open mic setting? With drums?
Didn't Marshall a couple years ago come out with a mini plexi? Also like 3 other low watt replicas? I can't find them
At all either.

Cameron26
<25
<25

Postby Cameron26 » 17 Jan 2016, 02:33

What's better sounding the combo or the head cab?

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 86 times

Postby djw171 » 17 Jan 2016, 04:37

Cameron26 wrote:What's better sounding the combo or the head cab?
Depends on what / how you plan to use and what cabinet you have. The actual C5 cab, C110, is pretty hard to find used. In fact so are the heads. You should be able to find the combo. Go for the 2nd issue version if you can. Three piece back, different layout inside and has easier access to the valves. Marshall also added the mod for low power mode ( it has these words written next to the switch on the rear). It has has 'C5-01' printed on the rear panel.

I have both the original and the 2nd version combos. I fell back in love with the amp recently and find myself using it a lot. It's a shame Marshall quit manufacturing, however given it was made in the UK it makes sense. Profit margins cannot have been huge.

I think it will become a classic desired amp in years to come.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Jan 2016, 05:00

Cameron26 wrote:Nice!you think it could be played in a open mic setting? With drums?
Didn't Marshall a couple years ago come out with a mini plexi? Also like 3 other low watt replicas? I can't find them
At all either.
If you're asking can a Class 5 keep up in a live band setting the answer is maybe, depending on the size of the room.

About the closest thing Marshall has to a "mini plexi" would be their 2061x at 20watts. The low watt replicas you speak of were the 50th anniversary 1 watt heads and combos.

viewforum.php?f=60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvxz8sxc-bk
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 17 Jan 2016, 07:41

Cameron26 wrote:What's better sounding the combo or the head cab?
I've had both. 2 Heads/Cabs and 2 Combos. The Combos were the post rattle issue models. Never had an issue at all with them. I always thought the Combos sounded the best vs the Head and Cabinet but ironically I ended up selling both Combos. It was purely for the fact I had 4 Class 5's and this was overkill with me having all the Anniversery 1 Watts which came later and I play all the time. Even though the Combos and C110 Cabinets are the same box for some reason the proximity of the electronics being in the combos taking up space just tuned the midrange of the amp better. It's the only thing I could reason with and it's of course the only difference in their construction obviously. I don't mean to insinuate the Head and Cab is not a good combination it's just there was a difference and I just preferred the Combo's tone. 2 of them together pushed by a Treble Booster and a Les Paul was a great match. I kept the Heads because they took up less space and I have future plans for those using a 2x12 and the Cabs.....They are useful and I like having them for a lot of reasons.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”