Moderator: longfxukxnhair

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Class 5 vs. VM

Postby dos » 05 Sep 2009, 02:08

Has anyone tried the Class 5 yet? What are the similarities or differences with the VM in sound/voicing, feel and vibe - beyond the obvious stemming from the format differences?

I ordered one already based on the family tree, just curious beyond what I have read on Marshalls website and available reviews.

Maybe Steve – could you maybe elaborate a bit on the similarities and differences as you see it?

Thanks!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Class 5 vs. VM

Postby SteveD » 05 Sep 2009, 04:35

The class 5 is class A for a start but in terms of sound it's still 5 watts worth of Marshall roar. It's pointless quantifying any differences in words and I would ask that when you get it would you let us know what you think. Just to be getting on with, here's the review from the latest issue of 'Guitarist' magazine with sound samples included, but again, be careful about making sonic judgements of recordings through your computer speakers. As always, wait until you play it yourself and bare in mind that the speaker will need a little breaking in as they always do.(Dont forget to give it a try through a 4 x 12 :winking )

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/ampl ... 425/review

Personally I think it's a wonderful little amp but then I would. :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Sep 2009, 07:24

In that demo clip with the amp on 4 and using the Strat, that was a very usable tone for the studio/
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

basshole
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby basshole » 05 Sep 2009, 16:31

I've got the dough saved up, i just need a store within arms reach (me - computer keyboard) that carries it!
There seems to be a whole lot of "heart and balls" going into Steve's designs so this one is a no-brainer.
Steve Miller | Phil Lynott | Sting | Paul McCartney | Royston Langdon | Jimi | Brian Setzer

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby StephenRutledge » 05 Sep 2009, 18:21

im gassing hard for a class 5... can't get hold of one in australia yet :bang

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby dos » 06 Sep 2009, 03:30

SteveD wrote:The class 5 is class A for a start but in terms of sound it's still 5 watts worth of Marshall roar. It's pointless quantifying any differences in words and I would ask that when you get it would you let us know what you think. Just to be getting on with, here's the review from the latest issue of 'Guitarist' magazine with sound samples included, but again, be careful about making sonic judgements of recordings through your computer speakers. As always, wait until you play it yourself and bare in mind that the speaker will need a little breaking in as they always do.(Dont forget to give it a try through a 4 x 12 :winking )

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/ampl ... 425/review

Personally I think it's a wonderful little amp but then I would. :Thumbs
Thanks, Steve. I agree internet demos can be deceiving, that's why I think written references, by someone you trust, might be just as meaningful. I think I can hear the potential in the demos by Joe Bonamassa and Krissy Matthews. Sounds like it has a very thick, full tone maybe even a good bottom as in the Bonamassa recordings. The one by Chris George sounds buzzy/fuzzy and almost farty - but that may be my speaker setup, mic used or something else. I have to admit that one was almost a reason not to buy.

Thanks again, looking forward to getting it!

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 06 Sep 2009, 09:36

dos wrote:The one by Chris George sounds buzzy/fuzzy and almost farty - but that may be my speaker setup, mic used or something else. I have to admit that one was almost a reason not to buy.
i have to agree, that was my first impression of that demo aswel, but i have pretty good surround sound speakers for my computer so i kinda had the feeling it was prob the mic setup or guitar or something like that. the bonamassa vids of it kicked ass tho!! very impressive! really liked those!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 07 Sep 2009, 00:50

dos wrote: I think I can hear the potential in the demos by Joe Bonamassa and Krissy Matthews.
Only Joe was playing the Class 5, Krissy was actually using a Haze 40W combo.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get yours. :winking
Still my guitar gently weeps

Return to “Marshall Class 5”