Lowdown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Class 5 at bedroom volume secret

Postby Lowdown » 08 Jan 2010, 03:24

SteveD wrote:
ilovedonna wrote:Sorry i meant through the headphone jack..
Does the impedance matter for the headphone jack?
No it makes virtually no difference because there is 100 ohms in series anyway.
Yeah!? I thought it was internally wired to to 16?
OK,so this means that we can use any ohm rated cab/speaker through the headphone jack then? :dunno

jonnymags
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Postby jonnymags » 26 Jan 2010, 13:28

I went for the headphone volume trick tonight plugging a planet waves combo speaker connector lead onto the speaker connectors (red at top, black at bottom). Plugged halfway into headphone (after switching to headphone) and it worked a treat. Switched amp off and plugged into 16 ohm out and flicked the selector switch. Turned amp on - it seems a lot quieter than it used to! Or rather I used to turn it to 3 and get a very loud clean - seems I need to get to 5 or 6 to get the same volume. It was gigging/rehearsal vol now it doesn't seem as loud.

Are my ears deceiving me after hearing the low volume or has anyone else noticed the same?

Also what's the 'official' way to take the back off! Took me ages - wouldn't want to change valves at a gig in a hurry!

Cheers
J

Lowdown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Lowdown » 15 Feb 2010, 00:52

jonnymags wrote:I went for the headphone volume trick tonight plugging a planet waves combo speaker connector lead onto the speaker connectors (red at top, black at bottom). Plugged halfway into headphone (after switching to headphone) and it worked a treat. Switched amp off and plugged into 16 ohm out and flicked the selector switch. Turned amp on - it seems a lot quieter than it used to! Or rather I used to turn it to 3 and get a very loud clean - seems I need to get to 5 or 6 to get the same volume. It was gigging/rehearsal vol now it doesn't seem as loud.

Are my ears deceiving me after hearing the low volume or has anyone else noticed the same?

Also what's the 'official' way to take the back off! Took me ages - wouldn't want to change valves at a gig in a hurry!

Cheers
J
Well I can't seem to get ANY sound out of the Ext. speaker output.
Have disconnected the main leads at the speaker and soldered on my own lead with a TRS jack to plug all the way in to the Headphone jack. Works great.
Yet when I plug into the Ext. and change the switch...NOTHING?

Steve...what am I doing wrong mate? :dunno

Oh jonny,
just unscrew all the screws on the back. When replacing,place a pencil in between the speaker magnet or hold the jack when inserted in ext. or headphone.

jonnymags
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby jonnymags » 15 Feb 2010, 06:36

If it helps I bought one of these to hook up

Planet Waves Male-to-Spade Lug Replacement Cable PW-PO34T

just hooked red spade where original was and black like wise, ran cable out of the port and plugged into ext speaker jack.

It does mean you have the original speaker cable flapping about inside but just secure with some wire twist...

Lowdown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Lowdown » 15 Feb 2010, 10:40

jonnymags wrote:If it helps I bought one of these to hook up

just hooked red spade where original was and black like wise, ran cable out of the port and plugged into ext speaker jack.

It does mean you have the original speaker cable flapping about inside but just secure with some wire twist...
Exactly what I did except I soldered mine on.
Just can't work out why the headphone socket works ,yet not the ext. ?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 15 Feb 2010, 13:10

Lowdown wrote:
SteveD wrote:
ilovedonna wrote:Sorry i meant through the headphone jack..
Does the impedance matter for the headphone jack?
No it makes virtually no difference because there is 100 ohms in series anyway.
Yeah!? I thought it was internally wired to to 16?
OK,so this means that we can use any ohm rated cab/speaker through the headphone jack then? :dunno
Absolutely, 16 ohm load from the ext speaker output but pretty much anything from the headphone output.

-- Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 pm --
jonnymags wrote:I went for the headphone volume trick tonight plugging a planet waves combo speaker connector lead onto the speaker connectors (red at top, black at bottom). Plugged halfway into headphone (after switching to headphone) and it worked a treat. Switched amp off and plugged into 16 ohm out and flicked the selector switch. Turned amp on - it seems a lot quieter than it used to! Or rather I used to turn it to 3 and get a very loud clean - seems I need to get to 5 or 6 to get the same volume. It was gigging/rehearsal vol now it doesn't seem as loud.

Cheers
J
Shouldn't affect it at all. It's two different circuits hence the switch.

-- Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:16 pm --
Lowdown wrote:
jonnymags wrote:If it helps I bought one of these to hook up

Exactly what I did except I soldered mine on.
Just can't work out why the headphone socket works ,yet not the ext. ?
Sounds like you still have it wired wrong. If you have the shield going to the sleeve and the signal going to the ring then it will work in the H/P socket but not the Ext Speaker socket. The signal must go to the tip. Nothing goes to the ring.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Lowdown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Lowdown » 15 Feb 2010, 22:01

You were right again,of course,Steve.
Signal was indeed going to the ring. :doh
Fixed and going perfectly. :Cheers

I'm going to try a spring type retainer with a cap and a TAD EL84 as porterburst suggested and see how I go with getting rid of that freaking rattle. I'm sure it's the tube. :think

Anyways,Thanx again Steve!

rick66
<25
<25

Postby rick66 » 06 Jul 2010, 19:11

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and don't mean to hijack the thread......but I have a question regarding the headphone out trick....

I just bought a C5 today and am hoping to take delivery by this weekend. On the headphone out idea, can I run a line out from the headphone and into a Tech 21 power engine?

-- Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 am --

well, mine got delivered friday afternoon. after making a speaker cable to do the "headphone attenuation" from the amp's speaker, i experimented with a regular guitar cable out of the headphone jack, pushed all the way in, and into my tech 21 power engine. since the power engine has its own volume control, one can adjust a dimed class 5 to very low volume levels via the power engine. works perfect for ultra low volume. i prefer using the amp's own speaker but in those instances where even lower volume is desired, the power engine works fine..................

mr boggie
<25
<25

Postby mr boggie » 18 Oct 2010, 10:36

Hi my local stores - Toronto Canada, only seem to have the original 1 piece back. I hear its great for a bigger bottom end, but not so good on rattles.

I wanted to ask 1) would you still go for it and potentially get the 3 piece back part from Marshall - should it be a rattle issue.

but 2) would anyone have a photo of what to connect/disconnect for the bedroom mod. I want to attach a TRS jack with the spade connectors, and run the jack into the Headphone socket for low low volume or into extension cab for normal operation.

thanks, albiet its my first post. this forum is incredibly helpful.

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 86 times

Postby djw171 » 19 Oct 2010, 04:09

For sure go for it, even with the one piece back you can do the small mods and fix it up for no rattle, or contact your Marshall rep and obtain the 3 piece (I did both). You will not regret it thats for sure.

As for the bedroom trick, disconnect the two wires from the speaker, tape up the ends and leave in the amp. Make yourself a cable with two spade connectors and a 1/4" TRS (Stereo) jack on the other end.

+ to the Tip
- to the Sleeve
Leave Ring disconnected.

Use a good quality speaker cable NOT a guitar cable. I bought a Metre for a couple of bucks from a local hardware store.
I purchased a couple of right angled 1/4" Jacks from ebay for next to nothing as a made a lead for a friend. There's a company in TO actually, a1parts.com that have them too.
With the 3 piece back I actually threaded the cable through the metal grill which holds it in place nicely, the solered on the 1/4" jack. Looks real neat. I'll try and post a photo soon.
Hope this helps.

mr boggie
<25
<25

Postby mr boggie » 19 Oct 2010, 11:05

you guys are awesome. I am now the proud owner of a 1 piece back. I couldnt wait, and frankly the square union jack sticker is way cooler than the circle. I had a few to try and found a black one that didnt seem to rattle at all.

I contacted Marshall and they have a 3 piece back on route to me and was free of charge. If the 1 piece suddenly gets bad, I can always switch up. Im working on my TRS lead to get the bedroom mod.

with the volume on 'half' my LP gets a great driven sound, its loud, but not brutal. With the bedroom mod, I should think I'll be way ahead. Thank you so very much for everyones help - you rule DAVE.

DSL100 Dude
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby DSL100 Dude » 19 Oct 2010, 12:08

Heck, I pull the stickers off 20 seconds after it is out of the box. ;)

Congrats on your C5! Rock it Out!
1987x
DSL 100
Class 5
Class 5 Rojo
G30RCD
1960A

mr boggie
<25
<25

Postby mr boggie » 20 Oct 2010, 11:45

Dave your hints and tips were awesome. I have te sucker cranked and can easily talk over it. quite remarkable. yes you do lose some depth, your just not pushing that much air, but its a nice refreshing and family friendly answer. cheap too. maybe $12 in parts....

McQ7
<25
<25

Postby McQ7 » 17 Jan 2011, 16:23

I just played a Class 5 in the store today and I gotta say it gets loud! :) 5 on the dial with the volume pots open is about as loud as I would go in my apartment. Or 10 on the dial with my volume pots turned down. I noticed that there are a lot of usable tones by dialing in my volume pots.

Played a Vox ACTV next to it--the 4 watt with the switch that takes it to 1/4 watt. While the 4 watt Vox is way, and I mean Way, quieter than the 5 watt Marshall, the 1/4 watt was also way too quiet for me unless it's the middle of the night or something.

So...I'm hoping someone can chime in and say just how much quieter the Marshall Class 5 gets with that headphone bedroom mod trick. I thought I had come across some post that said "3 on regular mode equals 7 with the headphone trick" or something like that, but I can't locate it.

Thanks!

DODmad27
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DODmad27 » 17 Jan 2011, 17:20

I did the bedroom volume mod using the internal speaker and it is great for apartment use. Check one of the threads, someone posted an image of the 2 pins you solder a jumper wire to. The reason I even performed the mod is because I live in an apartment and switching the switch on the back of the amp is fine for playing at night. Hope that helps.
Valvestate VS265R
Class 5
DSL5C
VOX AC15C1
Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36
Fender Vibro Champ SF

Return to “Marshall Class 5”