Moderator: longfxukxnhair

harkkam
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

class 5 alternatives?

Postby harkkam » 19 Jan 2010, 13:23

Guys if I get my class 5 (returned the first one, waiting for the second one) and it still rattles are there any alternative products that cost around 400 that will give me the same sound?

I really love the tone but I don't want to have to return it a second time thats too much for me.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: class 5 alternatives?

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Jan 2010, 14:53

It is going to be really hard to beat that tone for <$400, I would wait and see what happens with the second amp. If the new one has issues well there are some other intersting alternitives for a little more money. I know Marshall is fully aware of the issue with the Class 5 I just cannot tell you what the status is as far as recalls or fixes. Post this again if amp two still has issues, let's hope not
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 19 Jan 2010, 17:52

I don't think so, I think many of us are holding our breath waiting to hear it's good to go and there is a permanent fix. I have planned on buying one since SteveD announced them but am gunshy right now. The Dr. Z Monza is released this week but costs more than 3x as much. :cuss

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 19 Jan 2010, 21:12

Something kinda similar but not Marshall, Vox AC4TV, class A 4 watt amp, also available with 10" speaker as a combo. And it is less money ($249 new). Also with the Vox you get a built in attenuator taking to 1 watt and to 1/4 watt.

On youtube there is a comparison.

But, it does not look nearly as cool as the Marshall
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Supernaught
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Supernaught » 20 Jan 2010, 03:59

The Blackstar HT-5 combo rocks, and IMO is a lot better option than the Class 5. It has a master volume and is 2 channel so you dont have to kill your neighbours to get it to distort!
Fender Strat (Bare Knuckle Custom '62 pickups), Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016, Ibanez PGM301, Dean ML, Dean Razorback,
Marshall 2266c
Marshall 2266 half stack
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I

exotl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby exotl » 20 Jan 2010, 12:27

Supernaught wrote:The Blackstar HT-5 combo rocks, and IMO is a lot better option than the Class 5. It has a master volume and is 2 channel so you dont have to kill your neighbours to get it to distort!
The HT-5 is a fine amp, but it's a hybrid with lots of op-amps in it - and I definitely wanted a full tube amp.
Green Manalishi wrote:Something kinda similar but not Marshall, Vox AC4TV, class A 4 watt amp, also available with 10" speaker as a combo. And it is less money ($249 new). Also with the Vox you get a built in attenuator taking to 1 watt and to 1/4 watt.
I also tried this one, but with it's all chipboard cabinet it cannot rival the Class 5 IMO.

Another hard to find feature of the Class 5 is the second tube in the preamp - it gives the EQ more effect without taking away too much gain - for me this is THE AMP !!!

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 20 Jan 2010, 15:08

Probably not price competitive, but it's small, looks killer, and sounded great at the NAMM Show!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... TA-15.html
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

harkkam
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby harkkam » 20 Jan 2010, 17:14

were can i buy the mesa boogie amp, it looks really cool and sounds good too

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 21 Jan 2010, 00:18

Don't know where you can find'em yet. $899. Bet its killer with a Cele Gold. :dance

[youtube][/youtube]
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 21 Jan 2010, 04:44

One thought; it's very possible that the Class 5 rattling issues are due to either microphonic tubes or cabinet issues. That means that if you use the Class 5 with an external cab, all the rattling problems will most likely go away. So, there are two possibilities here:

1) It is very possible that a similarly sized combo by another manufacturer will have the same tube microphonics problems. You should look carefully into that before buying.

2) If you are willing to use a separate head/cab in place of the Class 5, why not just use an extension cab with a Class 5? You are saving a bit of weight in that you won't have a speaker in a head, and a few inches of vertical height, other than that they are about the same. However you will still have the complete Class 5 combo for practicing at lower volumes where the rattle isn't so bad.

Just sayin'.....

Return to “Marshall Class 5”