Moderator: longfxukxnhair

6B4G
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Class 5 worth the faults - great little amp

Postby 6B4G » 20 Jan 2010, 08:06

I have had my Class 5 for a while now (UK purchase in early October 09) and have had no rattles or other problems, but it did have to go back to the factory after just one day. I'm lucky as I work a couple of 100 Yards from the factory, so I took it to the service dept and they fixed it the same day - great service, but shame it had a fault so quickly. My DSL-100, an early one has been perfect since day one. So what was wrong with the Class 5, the spreaker had blown - not me I have not really wound it up, and a tube had gone. Can't help Tubes or Speakers I guess, but a longer burn in might help at the factory. I suspect the shop 'Gave it what for' when it first came in as it's a lotta fun, but kinda worrying if it failed so early on.

I think it is also suffering from a PCB issue as I had some funny buzzes turn up when the top panel was pushed in certain places. I took it to bits (I'm an electrical engineer) and checked it was assembled OK and did a general tightening on the unit. Put it back together and it's been fine since, but I do wonder about the rigidity of the amp, especially as I don't rev mine up as much as some.

That all said, I think it's a monster little amp with great tone, and I just love to look at the thing. It's so retro, I had a Bluesbreaker many years ago and it's just like that, but smaller, so cute ha ha - yes I'm old like many of the Customers for a Class 5. Try connecting it to a 4x12 (1960AV) - wow - now it does have tone. I think the Class 5 with an almost closed back and small port at the bottom is too boxy sounding, so I stuffed some foam in the port, not fully blocking it, I like the difference that made. The almost closed back could be a cause of the rattles for some as I'm not convinced inside mechanically it's up to all the vibrations running full tilt. I'm sure Marshall tested it, but did they test the production models enough?

After all that tho, my conclusions are - Fantastic amp, great sounds, great looks, lets hope all those with issues get theirs sorted out, coz once you have a goodun, you will just love it. I love mine, and the more I use it, the better it gets, there is a burnin period for these amps, more than any other amp I have ever known, it's worth sticking with it to get past this point - you won't regret it long term. :clap

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Class 5 worth the faults - great little amp

Postby dos » 20 Jan 2010, 08:39

Couldn't agree more! I look forward to every time I can turn it on, crank it up and step on the MXR eq or the Damage Control Womanizer I use to boost it.

In fact, even more so than my 2266.. I have actually started thinking the before unthinkable, maybe I should sell my VM - and buy another Class 5 or two for a stereo or wet/dry/wet setup and the ultimate in portability.

The voicing and the way it talks & sings with my guitars is pure tone heaven!

I may want to try a G10 Vintage to see if that gives it just a little more bottom end, but I'll wait for a few more monhts to see how the factory speaker breaks in.

Thanks very much, Steve!

exotl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby exotl » 20 Jan 2010, 12:39

dos wrote:In fact, even more so than my 2266.. I have actually started thinking the before unthinkable, maybe I should sell my VM - and buy another Class 5 or two for a stereo or wet/dry/wet setup and the ultimate in portability.
I wouldn't go as far as selling my VM, but YEAH - the Class 5 is a highly addictive little sucker !!!

Lordakamai
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Lordakamai » 20 Jan 2010, 16:25

I Played one at my local guitar store and the tone was so pure it really sounded awesome at some point the sales guy asked if i liked to try a Haze 40 and i tried that but i just totally preferred the Class 5 because of the pure tone

it Rocks Way to go Steve! :jam
In the end, all you can rely on is your good old guitar

Return to “Marshall Class 5”