Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Class 5 Basement mod

Postby Don » 29 Jan 2011, 05:02

found that the bedroom mod (headphone output jack to internal speaker) attenuated too much and sounded thin and over distorted.

Looking at the schematic, leaving the original 15 ohm/25 watt resistor in parallel with the speaker and replacing R50 (100 ohm/2 watt resistor) with an 8 ohm resistor should reduce the attenuation to 6 dB and keep the load to approximately 15-16 ohms, I believe.

This would reduce the amp's output by 4x, down to 1-1/4 watts.

Please correct me if my math or thinking if either is wrong. I'm not an EE and would hate to blow up my amp!

I did this mod tonight and the amp sounds fantastic! The amount of attenuation is only enough to take the edge off. It's still fairly loud and sounds almost the same. Comparing back and forth, the attenuation is enough that it's very usable. It sounds good enough that I'd be happy to keep the switch in the headphone position and only switch it back when the volume is needed.

BTW, if you decide to do this mod, be very careful working on the PCB. The traces are easy to damage!

Garrincha
<25
<25

Re: Class 5 Basement mod

Postby Garrincha » 29 Jan 2011, 07:19

Don wrote:found that the bedroom mod (headphone output jack to internal speaker) attenuated too much and sounded thin and over distorted.

Looking at the schematic, leaving the original 15 ohm/25 watt resistor in parallel with the speaker and replacing R50 (100 ohm/2 watt resistor) with an 8 ohm resistor should reduce the attenuation to 6 dB and keep the load to approximately 15-16 ohms, I believe.

I wonder if you could hook up a pot instead of a fixed resistor. I'm no EE either but I figured the attenuation would be better controlable that way. Heck, I might just try that myself.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 29 Jan 2011, 12:40

Garrincha wrote:
Don wrote:found that the bedroom mod (headphone output jack to internal speaker) attenuated too much and sounded thin and over distorted.

I wonder if you could hook up a pot instead of a fixed resistor. I'm no EE either but I figured the attenuation would be better controlable that way. Heck, I might just try that myself.
Please don't!!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Don » 29 Jan 2011, 14:59

Garrincha wrote:

I wouldn't. As I said, I'm not EE, but I believe that part of a normal pot's range would fall well outside what is acceptable to the amp's output transformer.

Lowdown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Postby Lowdown » 29 Jan 2011, 22:05

:scared I think that the old saying-"if it ain't broke don't fix it" should seriously be followed by some of you out there.

If you don't know what you're doing,leave it alone and walk away!

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Don » 01 Feb 2011, 05:56

There's nothing wrong with asking the question and performing some careful experiments.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 01 Feb 2011, 13:09

Don wrote:There's nothing wrong with asking the question and performing some careful experiments.
You might put somebody'e eye out, lol. :scared2

:bgrin
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Don » 01 Feb 2011, 20:05

Someone else looked at my mod and pointed out that the amp is seeing about a 9 ohm load with the resistor that I'm using. That shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to try a 50 ohm resistor as a happy medium. The load will be higher and I think there will be little more attenuation.

Eventually, I'll stop monkeying around and build a proper attenuator!

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Don » 03 Feb 2011, 09:52

That's scary!

KevinOConnor
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby KevinOConnor » 04 Feb 2011, 08:17

Hi Guys

To make the attenuator variable you need a rheostat rather than a pot. A pot is usually a carbon or plastic film element that cannot handle the currents even of a 5W speaker output. A rheostat is also called a "wirewound" potentiometer as the element is literally a coil of resistance wire.

You can buy generic rheostats from all the usual electronics vendors.

For speaker applications, you can also get an "L-pad". This is a control that does the same thing but is designed to present the same resistance to the source all the time.

Varying the load seen by the amp doesn't hurt the amp as long as the variation is slow. You cannot twist the rheostat shaft fast enough to be "too fast", or for the load to look discontinuous (see the other thread here about what things damage an OT).

A rheostat, L-pad, or fixed resistors will all work at attenuating the signal to the speaker. At high attenuations, you will want to add a small capacitance across the speaker to reduce fizz. This can be applied across the speaker output of the amp if a low-value resistor is placed in series with the cap; the resulting RC is a zobel network, also called a conjunctive filter. It simply rolls off treble. This can be applied to the head-phone jack used as an attenuator, as well. TUT4 explains how attenuators work and how to fix some of their sonic issues.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Don » 04 Feb 2011, 12:17

Thanks Kevin!

explorer rob
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time

Postby explorer rob » 10 Feb 2011, 17:46

I've been happy with a Weber mini-mass attenuator won off of flea-bay for less than $50. It uses a speaker coil to burn off excess energy from the amp and sends a desired energy level to the speaker for low volume playing. This is a great topic for those using the amp for practice with families or other situations. Any home brew attenuators offered for sharing? And, I just can't resist because these are just too cool:
:upass :moon :beatdeadhorse
Keep 'em coming!

Return to “Marshall Class 5”