Class 5 with Greenbacks? Without rattling...

Marshall Class 5

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Class 5 with Greenbacks? Without rattling...

Postby Vinny » 04 Feb 2011, 07:00

I had to sell my VM's for cash due to some temporary financial difficulties, so for a while a need a fine small and not so expensice amp for my LP... I was thinking...Class 5, BUT : all this rattling stuff on the net everywhere! And the speaker, can it be replaced by a celestion Greenback 10"???
Any help about it is welcome,I'm totaly new with these babies! I don't have the time to wait for the MK2 or the head, I need one very soon. Once the YJM is out, I'm planning to buy it and give the class 5 to my daughter as her first tube amp!

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Class 5 with Greenbacks? Without rattling...

Postby dos » 04 Feb 2011, 07:38

Vinny,

I play in two bands, in the blues/soul band I use two Class 5´s stereo and I can tell you when I hit the OD pedal with a stereo delay and go for it, I don´t miss my VM for a second - except for the missing thump. For tone - they scream and talk with me and my guitars like no other amp I have had for 30+ years - except only the VM. The two of them in stereo is just fantastic - and plenty loud.

I have not tried it with a Greenback but I tried one of them with a Vintage 10 and quickly returned to the stock speaker as there is just something there that´s right.

Give yourself some joy and try it out, it really is a special amp - just like the VM. Because Steve did it I guess.

DirtySteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 537 times
Been liked: 362 times

Postby DirtySteve » 04 Feb 2011, 08:57

Can't comment about a celestion GB, but I put a Scumback SA10M75 in one of my C5s. It's supposed to be a clone of the 10" Greenback that came in the original Bluesbreakers. It turned my amp into a more open cleaner sounding C5 with a lot more bottom and not as much mids. The stock speaker seems to have some mid range break up going on that the Scumback doesn't have. In my opinion that breakup plays a huge part in the sound and responce of this amp and I am personally much happier with the stock speaker!

Just my 2 cents based soley on my own experience.

Don
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Don » 04 Feb 2011, 12:15

It might matter which version of the C5 MKI that you get.

I have a very early one with the 1-piece back and it has way more bottom end and "thump" than I expected!

The rattles in mine were mostly a microphonic output tube.

I have seen pics of them with a 10" Greenback installed so one should fit.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”