Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jrphatstrat
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Major Hate going

Postby jrphatstrat » 10 Jul 2012, 10:05

Don't know why all the hate. I love my c5. It is a 2nd gen so it has a 3 peice back but no low power mode. I use it live and in the studio and have not been disappointed. I was so happy to find this amp. I just had surgery on my wrist and needsomething lightweight withgoodtone,not an easy feat, but marshall made it happen. I even throw a boss metal zone on when I play with my metalhead freinds and it sounds great. The real gem is just plugging in with no pedals at all! This amp is for the minimalist. All I want to bring to the gig is guitar,amp,cable and I can do it now! If you want clean headroom,get a fender, if you want old school rock and roll crunch, get a c5!
Gibson SG '61 reissue
2003 MIM powerhouse strat
1995 Les Paul Studio
2010 Fender Blues jr
2017 Marshall CODE

FennRx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby FennRx » 11 Jul 2012, 01:13

i've been on that forum a long time and have never noticed this Lyle guy....but wow, i dont think some of those guys could climb any further up his ass.

Some people don't like the Class 5. Cool. I personally didn't like the BH LG, Epi VJ, Blackstar HT-whatever and the Vox Nighttrain. But I see no reason to be a jerk about it. Different strokes for different folks. I guess some people cannot disagree without being an asswipe.

I will say that after playing my new C5 thru my 1960 cab, that the sound is definitely more scooped than I prefer. And as the volume increase, the high end becomes unpleasant. Now I found that my turning the mids up and the bass and treble down (reverse scoop?), I get a better sound. And I was in the process of messing with my pots and my volume pedal when the wife called and ruined my fun. I think a great blues tone is in there- I just need to adjust a bit more. :)

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 11 Jul 2012, 05:22

I thought about posting a new thread but ill put it here. I guess I finally tiped my C5 combo over the break in stage last Sunday. Had a couple hrs to myself and took advantage of it. When I plugged in and hit a few licks I could.instantly tell something was different. Little combo was singing. Up till then I had issues with the muddiness of it and it made me want to adjust pup heights and all kinds of things. Didnt have those issues with anything else I have. Long story short I have went from ocassionally playin it to having it on my mind when I leave work. "Hurry ur ass home..onlyy got a couple hrs b4 the wife gets home". Loving the tone around 11-2 o'clock with my LP, V into my Germanium Treble Boost and Wah. Im going to drag out my old Ibanez Artist next. I stand corrected on my opinion of this amp now. Looking to add a second one.

jrphatstrat
<25
<25

Postby jrphatstrat » 11 Jul 2012, 06:05

There is a break in point to the c5. Once you get past that it is awesome! The real problem with these guys that talk shit is that they aren't real musicians anyway. Tone is not just made by the amount of money you spend. If you have been playing for ten years and you cant get a good sound without a high end rig- you suck. If you can't take a first act guitar and a gorilla amp and get tone out it- you suck. Most of these assholes just want to take pictures of their rig and that is as far as it goes.
Gibson SG '61 reissue
1995 Les Paul Studio
2010 Fender Blues jr
2017 Marshall CODE

FennRx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby FennRx » 11 Jul 2012, 06:07

ouch. describes me perfectly. :whatever

:laugh :laugh :laugh

jrphatstrat
<25
<25

Postby jrphatstrat » 11 Jul 2012, 06:32

No disrespect. :rock on
Gibson SG '61 reissue
1995 Les Paul Studio
2010 Fender Blues jr
2017 Marshall CODE

schwa
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 61 times

Postby schwa » 12 Jul 2012, 21:34

FennRx wrote:I will say that after playing my new C5 thru my 1960 cab, that the sound is definitely more scooped than I prefer. And as the volume increase, the high end becomes unpleasant. Now I found that my turning the mids up and the bass and treble down (reverse scoop?), I get a better sound. And I was in the process of messing with my pots and my volume pedal when the wife called and ruined my fun. I think a great blues tone is in there- I just need to adjust a bit more. :)
I've noticed a similar thing with my Class 5 head - that it's kinda scooped and I was having a hard time matching it to any of my small collection of cabs. I recently picked up a Class 5 cab, and played it with a different amp and noticed that the speaker in the cab is just the opposite - it's totally hyped in the mids. This got me to thinking - it seems from what I have read that the folks with the combo seem to be happier with their Class 5's than the head owners.

I know from my other amps that speaker choice is very important. Most of my amps just sound much better with certain speakers. Greenbacks with my 2061x, G12-65's with my 2204. Currently I am thinking that the Class 5 might have a strong preference for the G10F-15 found in the combo and Class 5 cab. :rock on

SmokestackElRopo
<25
<25
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Postby SmokestackElRopo » 13 Jul 2012, 08:26

I wonder, if the Class 5 is so bad, why aren't any of those people working for Marshall? Our own SteveD, I guess had a major hand in the design of the Class 5. And as we all know he DOES work for Marshall and not in the shipping department.
Guitarz; Epiphone Les Paul Ultra w/490R and 498T on the bridge
Gibson Les Paul supreme Goldtop 2007 GOTW 22 w/57 classic and 57+ on the bridge
Epi Dot Deluxe
Ampz; All Marshall ; JTM 45
Vintage Modern 2266C
JCM 2000 DSL 100
Pedalz; Dunlop 535Q wah and Voodoo Labs Amp amp selector

Jwalkin
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1466 times
Been liked: 1363 times

Postby Jwalkin » 13 Jul 2012, 09:15

My compliments to dale2 for starting this thread on the Marshall Class 5.

Superior quality of the Class 5 has not let me down in anyway. What I like about a great amp like the Class 5... is you can set eq, and forget about it.

Whenever I get together with my brothers, we naturally talk about gear. There’s a significant amount of (music) experience, so I consider these men to be well versed about amplification. More than one occasion, I couldn't help noticing the Class 5 was getting a lot of positive comments from them.
I was Jwalkin when it hit me

Return to “Marshall Class 5”