how important is the ground wire on a guitar amp?

MA Heads and Combos

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

joceraz
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

how important is the ground wire on a guitar amp?

Postby joceraz » 10 Sep 2012, 03:31

what are the positive effects of having it connected to earth? many thanks,regards.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: how important is the ground wire on a guitar amp?

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Sep 2012, 05:58

Noise/hum, that and you don't want your amp
to bite you from not being grounded.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

txslowhand
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: how important is the ground wire on a guitar amp?

Postby txslowhand » 10 Sep 2012, 06:00

Hi Joceraz,

A couple of things come to mind with respect to amp grounding. First is safety both for the amp and the user. Should you experience some sort of electrical spike through your AC power line, the spike would at least have some sort of path to discharge. This of course would not guarantee the amp would be not damaged. Just allows for somewhere for the spike to travel. The type of grounding is also important. What one should avoid is the dreaded ground loop. In other words, you should only have one point of contact for your ground. This is commonly referred to as "star grounding". In other words, all grounding runs/lines lead to a single grounding point. Star grounding (or using a single grounding point) helps eliminate the potential for ground hum which is more prevelant in the US because of the 60Hz thing with AC current.
Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Marshall MA”