washburn 1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

A quick experiment!!

Postby washburn 1 » 13 Nov 2012, 16:57

Hi all,
Had some spare time today so thought i`d try a little something.
I`ve previously tried connecting my old (but trusty) AVT150H to my MA50H driving two 2x12 1936s (one vintage) and although I connected the emul`line out from the AVT to the loop return on the MA it was coming through potentially at full valve pwr amp vol as the line out is not variable. this made setting the individual channel vols on the AVT very touchy.
Today it occured to me that I could use my E/harmonix signal pad to control the input to the MA thus still driving the valves directly but at varying volumes. O....M....G!!!! The sound is amazing!! The 4 channels of the AVT is SO versatile +++ the built in effects and you`re using the valve pre-amp of the AVT and the power amp of the MA!! And it`s all clean, no noise whatsoever!
The power amp section of the MA sounds, HUGE !! when driven this way and I believe the pre section of the AVT is actually very good,(different from when it`s feeding the tranny amp). It makes me feel that the pre-amp on the MA is holding back the power amp section. The sound is SO much more open AND GUTSY and so adjustable that i`m considering using this setup perminately from now on.
I would strongly suggest that if you have any means to be able to rig up something like this for yourselves you should deffinately give it a go and perhaps remark on your results.
I`m really not knocking the MA in its own right but it just goes to show what can be achieved with a little experimentation !!! All the best, Kev. :rock on

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: A quick experiment!!

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Nov 2012, 19:22

You are basically slaving the MA. I own a dedicated slave amp and I had it built with a loop volume and a poweramp volume. When you go into the MA its going to be wide open and you will have to use the AVT as your preamp the set the volume.

It is worth noting that digital preamps can sound very good being run into all valve power amps. I am sure it did sound pretty good.

When you find something that works and you like stick with it, no matter how nontraditional it may be.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

washburn 1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: A quick experiment!!

Postby washburn 1 » 14 Nov 2012, 04:27

Have had a chance this morning(as my neighbour is out shopping) to wind up the AVT/MA combo .BLOODY HELL!! Is all I can say, it could blow your trousers off! Also compared the two power amp sections like for like. The AVT is good and loud but it is SO noticeable how much different the two p/amps sound(expectedly). the AVT is itself actually fizzy , not the pre-amp! Whereas the MA just sounds so solid. The mating of the two amps really works.. ( imagine that, MARSHALLS MATING, little Marshalls eveywhere)! Bliss! I do now feel the pre on the MA does let the power section a bit. I currently have a Tung-sol in 1st position in the MA, guess I should pop it in the AVT and see what happens there!

Return to “Marshall MA”