Absolutely - if the sound is right who cares about the looks

Sully
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New Marshall MA Series

Postby Sully » 06 Oct 2009, 13:33

surfnorthwest wrote:Since when do you guys give a shit about what a amp looks like? If it sounds great and is a good value it could look like a box of Corn Flakes. Heck use the bag you put over your girlfriends head on it.
I agree that it shouldn't matter, but I think its just human nature. Do you drive an ugly car with a great motor in it? Probably not. Anyone have a lime green Les Paul Custom? Probably not. You want the looks to go along with the quality, even if the quality is independent from the looks. Its part of the vibe.

I think the amp sounds great from what I've heard so far. I was just wondering why some companies don't try to make their products look better, even if its to try and make up for bad quality.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 06 Oct 2009, 14:03

I don't think it really looks worse, just different. Not the typical Marshall look. Like Steve said, you gotta have a difference between the top end stuff. It's kind of like when the VM first came out and it was purple. Boy, that shocked a lot of people but I think everyone here got used to it really fast.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Lordakamai
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Lordakamai » 06 Oct 2009, 15:12

LivewireBlanco wrote:It's kind of like when the VM first came out and it was purple. Boy, that shocked a lot of people but I think everyone here got used to it really fast.
Lol i didn't even see that untill my drummer said "DUDE IT'S PURPLE" and i was like "i don't see any purple" then he turned on a bigger light :yea
In the end, all you can rely on is your good old guitar

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 06 Oct 2009, 15:54

For the record I wasn't specifically referring to this amp, it's not bad. There are some out there that are really bad though.
By the way, since when is it cool to have an amp that looks like a kitchen appliance or piece of furniture? I must have missed the memo.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 06 Oct 2009, 16:06

slowpokerhino wrote: since when is it cool to have an amp that looks like a kitchen appliance or piece of furniture? I must have missed the memo.
Furniture is out, post office boxes are in! :yea
Attachments
1797140257_f13674dbe9.jpg
1797140257_f13674dbe9.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 06 Oct 2009, 17:28

LivewireBlanco wrote:
slowpokerhino wrote: since when is it cool to have an amp that looks like a kitchen appliance or piece of furniture? I must have missed the memo.
And here i thought i was the only one with a USPS 1/2W combo.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 06 Oct 2009, 19:19

kissfanps wrote:
LivewireBlanco wrote:
And here i thought i was the only one with a USPS 1/2W combo.
:laugh Livewire That's great!!! I want one to go with my Lincoln Log Strat.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 06 Oct 2009, 19:58

Bet it sounds great with the Castrol Lace Sensor. :jam

Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby musicman » 07 Oct 2009, 17:24

Didn't Bo Diddley used to play one of those ?

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 07 Oct 2009, 18:08

This MA series has me very curious. Here's a few questions.

1) Steve, is this your design?

2) Are the cabs particle board/MDF or plywood?

3) Any solid state boost circuitry? I'm wondering how they get 2.5 channels out of 3 12AX7's.

4) Are the speakers really Eminence? Why Eminence and not Celestion, if you can say?

5) Any circuit similarity to the Haze series?

I'm very interested in them as I need a channel switcher for my current gig and the TSL's are a bit pricey.

One other thing; is there any way to maybe steal Chris' guitar and install some vintage type pickups with some high end? His guitar has no sparkle, and the demo videos suffer a bit for it, especially the clean channel demos. Let's take up a collection and get him a reissue SG with Burstbuckers!! :dance

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 07 Oct 2009, 19:02

MKB wrote: One other thing; is there any way to maybe steal Chris' guitar and install some vintage type pickups with some high end? His guitar has no sparkle, and the demo videos suffer a bit for it, especially the clean channel demos. Let's take up a collection and get him a reissue SG with Burstbuckers!! :dance

I agree. Very nice guitar and I'm sure it sounds great in person but it has a very dark tone which hurts the demos IMO.
For example, in one of the Haze demos he turns on the bright switch and it sounds much better, but then he immediately turns it off. :doh

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times

Postby Bluesburst » 07 Oct 2009, 21:25

It's a bit rough, but the easy and cheap addition of white piping makes a world of difference...

Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

Sully
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sully » 08 Oct 2009, 09:00

Has anyone seen a release date?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 08 Oct 2009, 11:56

MKB wrote:This MA series has me very curious. Here's a few questions.

1) Steve, is this your design?

The electronics and the sound are of course but the amplifier as a finished product is the work of a team of people here at Marshall Towers

2) Are the cabs particle board/MDF or plywood?

As far as I can remember they are particle board/MDF

3) Any solid state boost circuitry? I'm wondering how they get 2.5 channels out of 3 12AX7's. It wasn't easy!!

No solid state boost circuitry, it's all valve. The tone stack is taken off V2b anode. Only the serial FX loop, reverb driver/receiver and resonance circuit is solid state.(...and the switching of course).

4) Are the speakers really Eminence? Why Eminence and not Celestion, if you can say?

Yes they are Eminence. We've used both companies for a good while now.

5) Any circuit similarity to the Haze series?

No.

I'm very interested in them as I need a channel switcher for my current gig and the TSL's are a bit pricey.

One other thing; is there any way to maybe steal Chris' guitar and install some vintage type pickups with some high end? His guitar has no sparkle, and the demo videos suffer a bit for it, especially the clean channel demos. Let's take up a collection and get him a reissue SG with Burstbuckers!! :dance
Still my guitar gently weeps

Return to “Marshall MA”