Moderator: longfxukxnhair

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Anyone played one yet?

Postby zappatista » 23 Dec 2009, 14:32

Has anyone out there played an MA yet? Well, besides Steve D.,obviously.

Opinions? How does it stack up against, say a DSL? I'm wondering which Marshall it most closely resembles.
Vintage Modern 2466 (Purple!)
Marshall 425A cab (Purple!)
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head
1990 Les Paul Studio, Dimarzio Air Classic, Dimarzio Super Distortion PUPS
A Handful of Stomp Gadgets/Boosty devices

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Anyone played one yet?

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Dec 2009, 18:25

I have yet to see one anywhere around here, that or a Class 5. How is the DSL holding up for you?
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 24 Dec 2009, 16:55

surfnorthwest wrote:I have yet to see one anywhere around here, that or a Class 5. How is the DSL holding up for you?

Ha ! holding up is the right term! That DSL has been the touchiest amp I've ever dealt with. I just got it out of the shop again. IT's had so much work, you would probably not even recognize it. The new MMOT, totally retubed with JJ EL34l's. A few new parts here and there. It sounds bad ass though. I guess the tweakyness of dealing with this DSL design kind of has me nosing around some of the newer Marshall's though. I wouldn't mind having a new one with the warranty that goes with it. But your old DSL, despite it's quirks which I think I finally have ironed out, does sound amazing. So I'm still not going to get rid of it, unless I know I'm getting something I like just as well. Especially since I'm on a budget, and my choices are limited.

I guess the fact that Steve D. designed the MA has me intrigued about it!

I will probably be staying away from the JMD:1 though! No modeling for me.

Cheers SurfNorthWest! Merry Christmas too!
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

toxx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby toxx » 27 Dec 2009, 04:34

Well, I've tested the amp and - Sorry, Steve D - I think it's crap. Sounds totally flat, no dynamics, harsh high end ... my boss at the music store has the same opinion.

By the way ... in the video you posted, the guitarist says (yes I'm german :D) that he does not like the amp much (but it's good for the price...bla bla) and something like "it's character is Marshall, like the cheap solid state Marshalls, too ... sounds like Marshall, but has not the quality of the real Marshalls" ... and he wants to SELL this amp, guys :roll .

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 27 Dec 2009, 05:34

toxx wrote:Well, I've tested the amp and - Sorry, Steve D - I think it's crap. Sounds totally flat, no dynamics, harsh high end ... my boss at the music store has the same opinion.

SD: Thank you for your opinions.

By the way ... in the video you posted, the guitarist says (yes I'm german :D) that he does not like the amp much (but it's good for the price...bla bla) and something like "it's character is Marshall, like the cheap solid state Marshalls, too ... sounds like Marshall, but has not the quality of the real Marshalls" ... and he wants to SELL this amp, guys :roll .

Focused marketing? :whatever
Still my guitar gently weeps

toxx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby toxx » 29 Dec 2009, 01:36

Actually I own a Vintage Modern, so nothing against your work, Steve :winking ... I just don't think the MA is worth buying it if you want to have a "tube amp". For shure it's a beginners amp at a very low price, so I understand that it can't have the quality of real Marshall tube amps. It just doesn't have the characteristic you'd expect from a tube amp. And thats something the Haze really has.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 29 Dec 2009, 04:40

Hey no problem toxx. As always sound and tone is subjective and the MA was not particularly aimed at vintage tone hounds. There are actually many players who really like it and some of those are experienced pros. Personal style, instrument, speakers, etc. etc all play their usual part.

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 29 Dec 2009, 11:41

SteveD wrote:Hey no problem toxx. As always sound and tone is subjective and the MA was not particularly aimed at vintage tone hounds. There are actually many players who really like it and some of those are experienced pros. Personal style, instrument, speakers, etc. etc all play their usual part.
That's what I was wondering Steve.. Since I haven't seen one around to actually play through, I was wondering just for some beginning reference, if like the VM, you had the early 60's Marshall's as your inspiration. Was there any certain Marshall that was a template to start from for the MA?
Of all the clips and video's I've seen so far, the amp seems to sound pretty good. I'd like to hear one through the 425A cab, as that cab makes every amp I put through it sound good!
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 02 Jan 2010, 07:37

There is no specific Marshall amp the MA is based on but like all Marshalls it has that familiar roar and character people expect and love them for.

Vince
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Vince » 26 Feb 2010, 20:15

I bought a MA50H and replaced the power tubes with some NOS RFT's and V1 with a TungSol 12ax7. I am running it through the MC412 instead of the MA412. The MC412 uses Celestions instead of Eminence speakers. Other than that they are the same cab I believe.... I know they cost the same.

Anyway.... I love the MA! It was pretty dull and lifeless until I swapped tubes but I could tell the tone was in there. I love the clean channel with a MXR GT-OD for vintage crunch and the Dirty side for Modern Crunch. I have been playing for over 30 years and have owned plenty of Marshalls and I really like the dynamics of this head. The Resonance can really pull from the bottom hard if you want it too.

It may not be top of the line but for me..... It's a winner.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 27 Feb 2010, 04:02

Welcome to the forum Vince. :Thumbs

For the price the MA is a very usable and decent sounding amp in the gigging environment. Unfortunately a lot of players are judging it at 'shop volume' alone which is not what it is meant for. :roll

Vince
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Vince » 27 Feb 2010, 06:37

Thanks for the welcome Steve!

Yeah... Logically, I really don't know why people are resisting the amp.... the thing absolutely rocks. I attribute it to the low price and the resistance of people who do not want to like a lower priced Marshall build in a country other than the UK.

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby tramp » 27 May 2010, 23:02

"Well, I've tested the amp and - Sorry, Steve D - I think it's crap. Sounds totally flat, no dynamics, harsh high end ... my boss at the music store has the same opinion."

"Anyway.... I love the MA! It was pretty dull and lifeless until I swapped tubes but I could tell the tone was in there."

Well I guess this could be the problem!! Stock valves are always a bit crap on less expensive amps. My Tiny terror sounded way harsh until i took out all the stock tubes and put in JJs.

i personally like the idea of valve amps that are affordable for more people!

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 09 Jun 2010, 22:44

Ok , here it comes, my first MA video Recorded with camera mic so sound is not as it should be, but I hope you like it, sloppy playing included,lol.
Here is my setup without other effects, Epiphone Prophecy SG->Boss SD-1 -> Vox Satchurator->MA. :jam
[youtube][/youtube]

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 11 Jun 2010, 02:17

Nice one!

I'm surprised you need the distortion pedals as the MA has a lot of gain in boosted OD. :jam

Return to “Marshall MA”