jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

clean boost help

Postby jagermike66 » 26 Dec 2010, 03:00

hey everyone.

So what's the deal with having a clean boost in the fx loop then? I thought having that would have the same effect as just turning the amp up? Anyone who uses one wanna describe the results? Sorry if this topic already exists, I havnt had time to search and I'm on my phone!

Cheers!

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Re: clean boost help

Postby Phano36 » 26 Dec 2010, 06:42

Hi jagermike66

By having this arrangement, it's saturate the input with a Hi-gain signal causing distorsion. Using this set up in the overdrive channel combine the overdrive of your amp + the saturate gain of the pedal.
In the case of the MA series amp, it work pretty good !

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 26 Dec 2010, 06:55

jagermike66 wrote:hey everyone.

So what's the deal with having a clean boost in the fx loop then? I thought having that would have the same effect as just turning the amp up? Anyone who uses one wanna describe the results? Sorry if this topic already exists, I havnt had time to search and I'm on my phone!

Cheers!
A clean boost in the loop works very well as a solo volume boost. :winking
Still my guitar gently weeps

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 26 Dec 2010, 07:42

Ah see I already have a tube screamer in front of the preamp. I dont use the amps built in boost as I prefer the sound of the OD channel without bost engaged. Mixed with the 808 tube screamer I can melt some faces. For that reason I wouldnt want to cause any more saturation in the FX loop, (although I may put my screamer there later just to see what happens).

Basically I am in the market for a noise suppressor (not that the MA is a noisey amp, its just when you play metal it doesnt matter what amp you have, you still need to control feedback). I've come accross an Artec Noise Gate which is pretty much the cheapest one going. Interestingly, the pedal itself has an output control as well as the noise gate threshold. So I figured I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and have a noise gate that also acts as a clean boost in the fx loop.....gotta be worth a try for £40! Hense why I wanna know if there is any tonal advantage of having a clean boost without any additional saturation.

Thanks for your replies!

M

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 26 Dec 2010, 10:40

I have Boss SD-1 in the loop engaged all the time, volume full...gain zero, it doesn't really boosts anything,I think it even lowers thing a bit, but it changes the way gain channel sounds, I can't explain why but it kills the fizzy top end completely. It acts as some sort of filter maybe :think

Return to “Marshall MA”