How to determine manufacture date of MA Series?

MA Heads and Combos

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Lizzy » 01 Feb 2011, 12:35

Just bought a MA100h but didn't think to check when it was manufactured to see if it was a revoiced model. The serial number tag shows 2009 so obviously this is not revoiced model but I'm wondering if I return it and buy another how I can be sure I'm getting a revoiced model?

Is there a way of determining the build month from the serial number or other method?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: How to determine manufacture date of MA Series?

Postby SteveD » 02 Feb 2011, 07:21

Welcome to the forum Lizzy. :Thumbs

The two numbers following the year in the serial number is the week number.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Lizzy » 02 Feb 2011, 12:46

SteveD thank you very much for taking the time to respond. That's perfect, exactly what I needed to know.

I'd like to ask too if perhaps you could elaborate a little more on what the revoicing means in comparison to the original version. I don't know if you are at liberty to give some technical details of how "more gain at a lower volume" was achieved?

If not, maybe you give an example of what difference there would be at stage/bedroom volumes between the 2 versions at the same settings?

Sorry to ask what may seem like dumb question, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of what to expect before I go on the hunt for a post 5/2010 version.

I plan on gigging the MA100h for the first time next week although I have a feeling it may be a little overkill volume-wise for my situation and I may be able to get away with MA50 instead. A big selling point for me of the MA series is the potential of using the crunch balance as a built in Volume boost for solos rather than having to run something through the effects loop. I did however notice at low (bedroom) volume when I have it adjusted for a good volume jump it seems to really suck the gain out of it in un-boosted mode.

Anything you could tell me about the new re-voiced version would be helpful.

Cheers!

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 06 Feb 2011, 00:52

Well I don't know about the revoiced MA's but this one I have has just being revoiced by a Digitech Bad Monkey pedal!
I bought this pedal cause I saw some good reviews and it's cheap, so I said lets try this green box....and it changed my amp totally. Set it in front , volume full and gain maybe slightly on....and you have some really classic tones on gain channel, step on the boos channel and try to survive :)
So my setup is now Bad monkey in front, and Boss SD-1 in effects loop for clean boost all the time, and I am smiling all day long playing this amp.
I bet if I record a video and say it's a JCM900 or similar, everyone would compliment on the tone, only problem people have is MA is cheap asian amp, well mine doesn't sound cheap at all.
I highly recommend trying this pedal, it's only like 40$.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 06 Feb 2011, 07:57

The original voicing was optimised for gigging levels and afforded more of a volume boost and gain boost with judicious setting of the 'Crunch Balance' control.

The difference with the 'Crunch Balance' now is more of a gain difference (due to higher levels of interstage drive in the preamp) than a gain and volume difference with a bit more gain on tap in general.

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Lizzy » 06 Feb 2011, 22:52

Thank you again Steve. So in my case where the desire is to use the Crunch Balance first and foremost as a volume/solo boost at gigging levels would the original voicing be better suited for that as compared to the new voicing?

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 07 Feb 2011, 04:29

I guess that's what this boost thing was all about in those early MA's, volume and gain boost, for solos. But you can get more out of it with boost in effects loop, or EQ pedal, experiment with the amp and you can find many new sounds.
I personally use now boost function as a third channel, for solos I engage EQ pedal in effects loop. This way I have normal gain channel for tasty crunch sound, and for more hard rock I go for boost. Want more from MA? It's time to put overdrive pedal in front and this way you get even more versatility from any channel.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 07 Feb 2011, 12:33

Different players make either version work for them in whatever way gets the job done. I'm pretty sure it would be the same for you.

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby jagermike66 » 08 Feb 2011, 04:40

Hi all,

this is interesting because I bought my MA50H in May last year. Wonder which voicing mine is? (doesnt matter that much, I love my MA).

I think either voicing will do the job for you Lizzy, especially if you have the 100 watt model (which is too loud for me...and I play in a thrash metal band). experiment with using your guitars volume to clean up the boost channel would be my starting point. If it doesnt quite work for you then a booster pedal in the fx loop works wonders. The actual crunch balance boost of the original voicing isnt massive (cant be more than a decibel or so), but the increase in gain raises the amps perceived loudness (and compression) anyway.

PS1984
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby PS1984 » 25 Sep 2011, 02:01

hm. interesting...

can I ask - when was the first time when MA was produced? I mean how old is this range?? (sorry, but my english is not good). And during this time when it is out on market there were some changes? Am I understand it properly?

Return to “Marshall MA”