Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

MA Preamp tube layout?

Postby Lizzy » 24 Feb 2011, 12:44

Sorry ask again if this was already covered in another post but what is the preamp tube layout of the MA100H? I presume the one next to the EL34's is the PI but not sure on the other 2.
SteveD, any chance you could also divulge what factory/manufacturer the Marshall branded preamps are from?

Oddly enough I bought the amp fully expecting I'd be returning it to the store within 30 days after I got the GAS out of my system, however after gigging with it last week I think it may be a keeper. Great clean channel, syrupy sweet and chimey at the same time and overdrive side to my ears has the clear open "bossy" Marshall sound I'm looking for. Reminds me a lot of the JTM/JCM600 series I've heard but hopefully without the design issues.

I think however the Marshall marketing dept missed the boat a bit with the naming though. Personally I think calling it something like JCM500 may have made it sound a little more acceptable and serious rather than MA which just seems to have a cheap ring to it right out of the box.
But for what my opinion is worth I think you did a stellar job on this one Steve. Now if we could only just rename it and add a dedicated solo boost knob I'd gladly pay double for one. :~)

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: MA Preamp tube layout?

Postby SteveD » 24 Feb 2011, 13:49

The MA uses Shuaguang preamp valves.

V1 = input buffer and first OD section
V2 = second OD section and tone stack
V3 = PI
Still my guitar gently weeps

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 25 Feb 2011, 04:12

I have changed all preamp tubes to Tung-Sol, kinda liked them more than stock ones, also tried Electroharmonix in V1 position, wasn't impressed by difference, TungSol's were best tubes for my taste.
Clean channel is great indeed, but I really spend 90% of my playing time in the overdrive section. :yea
MA is whole new concept from Marshall, and all it needs is some famous guy to play one show with the amp,and it will go up more, I see that people generally hate that ''Made in Vietnam'' label.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Phano36 » 29 Mar 2011, 13:43

I personnaly think that Electroharmonix sucks sorry if I offendent some peoples.
I use JJ.s Tesla in all my amps.
I made some shows using my MA but still it seems that it didn't brought the amp up lollll
I have one gig comming on April 26 maybe after that show the MA will be famous lollll.

Return to “Marshall MA”