Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: MA100H with boost pedal not boosting OD channel

Postby Lizzy » 05 Apr 2011, 11:18

I definitely concur with you jagermike, at low volumes (1 to about 3-4), the gain channel is all preamp fizz but once you get the amp up to proper gig volume (5+) it sounds wonderfully Marshall-y. I've tried a TS-7 and LPB-1 to boost the front end but personally think it sounds great without anything pushing it. Although at low volume backing the gain down and boosting with the LPB-1 seemed to resolve the fizziness a bit.

I would suspect those that are turning their nose up at this amp because they think it sounds fizzy haven't really tried it cranked up to the proper volume. :~) A 100 watt Marshall tube amp is not the same thing as a solid state MG bedroom amp for chrissakes! Bedroom players would be better off with the MA50 and/or possibly a Weber Mass attenuator..

Hey Steve, how about designing us a MA-25c with El84's or 6v6's? That would be a sweet addition to the MA range for those wanting a lower volume amp...I'd definitely buy one for home use.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Phano36 » 05 Apr 2011, 14:34

Jagermike & Lizzy
I totaly agree about the MA sound when played load. It's sound better that's all.
I personaly think that, even if the MA is consider a low budget tube amp, it is not made for a non skill player.
What I mean is, It need to be ajusted perfectly to give it's best.
You will not reach a perfect sound quality by putting all knob at ten. All controls have to be ajusted with caution.

Now Guys, just try what Nebulozny sugested. put your bad monkey in the front and put another OD pedal or an EQ in the effect loop and use that second pedal volume knob as a master volume control. You will be amazed with the richness and colours of that method !

Regards

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 06 Apr 2011, 05:06

Yeah I've seen that suggested a few times on here. So its essentially a clean boost in the fx loop? I have tried this with an EQ pedal but it sort of made it thinner. Lets say I put a proper clean boost in there (not a cheap EQ that doesnt work most of the time lol), what would I set the amps master volume at? Bare in mind I have a noise suppressor in the fxloop too. Im guessing the clean boost would go after it?

I'm hoping to get some pics/sound clips up here soon as I love the sound i get at the mo.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 06 Apr 2011, 10:15

I think overdrive pedal would be best choice for you, SD-1 is cheap and works amazing, I use it ON all the time and it's last in chain, there is something in the overdrive pedals that kills that fizz at normal levels. You won't get the same effect with only EQ in the loop, I tried it.
Master volume levels are those that suits you, when I play in bedroom, I set the overdrive channel at 7-8 and volume knob on my SD-1 at 9 o clock. Kick ass sound and you can survive to play another day :bgrin

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 06 Apr 2011, 16:04

awesome, i'll give it a try when I get chance. Will probably borrow my mates OD pedal and stick it in the loop. Do you use this sort of setup at gig volumes too? Ive got a gig on Saturday and the chances are im gonna be going through a full stack of vintage 30s......OOOOOHHHH THE HUMANITY! Cannot wait! If anyone films/records it i'll post it straight up here. Im in a metal band and usually you get people with 5150s, peavey valve kings and occasionally duel rectos....and my 50 watt MA stands up to all of them in the power department. It sounds so much tighter live than any of them. I've owned other marshalls and I would definitely put the MA in the top 2 along with my old JCM900.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 06 Apr 2011, 22:27

Yup, my SD-1 is on all the time, gig or bedroom, for more volume just crank the volume knob on pedal, equals full master volume on other amps. What's more interesting is that now you can blend preamp and power amp volume, too much power tube saturation doesn't sound good,it squashes everything, you add some grit on power tubes via master volume and slam the preamp tubes, amazing sound.
All I can think of now for improving MA is changing speakers to v30 or another, but in the gain and tube department, I am done with tweaking. :bgrin

So, my conclusion is, for greatest MA experience you need 2 overdrive pedals, one in effects loop and one in front, for more sound control at all levels you can use EQ pedal in loop too. No more distortion pedals needed , ever. :jam

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 07 Apr 2011, 04:50

yeah i would recommend trying out some different speakers. I've never been a fan of the G75Ts that the eminence speakers are modeled off in the MAs. Judging by some of the sound clips you post I would have a go on some greenbacks...especially the new ones theyre putting in the cabs for the Vintage Modern amps. V30s are great for high gain stuff but I prefer the greenback woolyness for less gain.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 08 Apr 2011, 12:52

V30 (30 W) greenback is a good choice for a MA50C
but for a MA100C I dont believe thay will resist
the 100W output !

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 13 Apr 2011, 06:40

Well my idea was to buy some Eminence Governor speakers, 75w each, but it's on hold now as I am buying summer tyres for my car :bgrin

Anyways, I have found out that Bad Monkey set as clean boost and pushing clean channel, volume about 4-5 gives amazing light blues break up. Of course I set overall volume lower via that master volume trick in effects loop.

Return to “Marshall MA”