kocko
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

MA100H with boost pedal not boosting OD channel

Postby kocko » 09 Mar 2011, 07:28

Hi guys
I recently bought MA100H with the appropriate speaker cabinet (M412). I have a preamp booster pedal (cheap one though) and when I use it on the clean channel I get loads of level boost, but when I turn it on using the OD channel the difference is barely noticable. Any thoughts?

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Re: MA100H with boost pedal not boosting OD channel

Postby Lizzy » 09 Mar 2011, 10:25

If you are looking for a volume boost I would suggest trying the pedal in the effects loop (post preamp) and see how it sounds.

I think what you are experiencing with not begin able to get much of a volume boost on the gain channel is par for the course on any amp with both gain and volume controls on the same channel, I believe it acts as a master volume type of deal so you really cannot get any louder than what the volume/gain knobs are set at, whereas the clean channel only has a volume control and that's why it works. Sorry, I'm sure someone else can give a better technical explanation of this.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 09 Mar 2011, 12:58

The preamp stages are already overloaded in OD mode which means driving the front end results in more gain, not volume. You would get a better level boost in crunch mode than boost mode, but like Lizzy said, the best level boost is had when putting your pedal in the FX loop and setting it for a clean boost (an EQ pedal is great for this). Works great!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 09 Mar 2011, 17:21

Hi

I personaly dont use the "Clean Boost" method in the effect loop.
But I use this set up directly in the input of my MA100C. I tried it in the effect loop and it didn't sound pretty good.
Maybe I didn't plug it right but passing thru the effect loop made my amp sound loader but with not the amount of overdrive i was expecting. But this is a question of personnal taste !
I guess there is no "precise" or perfect method
Good luck

kocko
<25
<25

Postby kocko » 09 Mar 2011, 23:49

Thanx for the quick responses guys :)
SteveD wrote:The preamp stages are already overloaded in OD mode which means driving the front end results in more gain, not volume. You would get a better level boost in crunch mode than boost mode, but like Lizzy said, the best level boost is had when putting your pedal in the FX loop and setting it for a clean boost (an EQ pedal is great for this). Works great!
SteveD, I am not using the boost mode - the crunch mode is the one i wanted to boost with the pedal but as you said it is already pretty much overloaded. I will try with the effects loop today and let you know the results.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 29 Mar 2011, 02:26

I have recently started using my SD-1 pedal in effects loop as a master volume control, lowering output level on pedal and cranking volume on amp gain channel to 8-9. Sounds really good at reasonable volumes, and once you balance preamp volumes on clean and gain channel, it's easy to go full blast or under ''wife tolerated " volume levels with one knob.
:yea

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 29 Mar 2011, 04:47

lolll Nebulozny
I love your "wife tolerated volume levels" it seems like what ever country you're from, woman are the same lolll.
Now about your setup...Do you leave the SD-1 always "ON" ?

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 29 Mar 2011, 09:30

Yeah mate, women are same when it comes to tubes amps and more :bgrin
Typical conversation goes like this...
w: Does it really need to be that loud?
me:Hell yeah, it is a tube Marshall, that's how it works...
w:How come you listen to records at lower volume, they use same boxes as you?...
me: Well, tubes need to be driven harder in order to produce distortion and......
w:I am goin over to my friends house for a coffee and you stay there and loose hearing with your light bulbs... :howdy
But, best part is when she comes from her friends house and complain how boring her husband is, he is an addicted chess player, and just watches those figures all day long.....LOL :bgrin

Now, my SD-1 is always on in effects loop, tone at 9' o clock, gain at zero and Volume according to situation, so it does the master volume job very nice, I think it sounds much much better this way.
Also Digitech Bad Monkey in front, zero gain again and full volume, pushing the preamp just over the edge, MA just sings and screams, it is another amp this way.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 29 Mar 2011, 13:35

Nebulozny
loooollll The same kind of stories apply here, it's so funny ! I'm sure those girls use telepathic.

Ok so you are boosting the front (input) with another OD pedal to get more gain + the OD channel vol around 8 or 9 to give an extra punch and the SD-1 is use as a master vol... Cool setup.

I have a similar setup but without the SD-1 in the loop FX. I use a Boss GT10 so I need to pass through the front for some effects ie compressor, wah wah etc..
But The GT10 have alots of OD inside. +/- 12 differents kind of OD and distortions. And what is fun with the GT10 compare to the older Boss model is that you are able to split the stomp box effects chain. So by using the Amp and the stomp box fx loop I can decide what ever goes in front of the Preamp and before the power stage. But I can only use one overdrive at the time. So I have to put it in front or after. And after wasn't the best choice for my ears.
But I bought recently a new Vox ICE 9 that I use with my Fender tweed Deluxe for solos. You pretty sure I will give it a try with the Marshall as a master vol method

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 29 Mar 2011, 22:50

Boss GT10 is great indeed, but I have stopped using those units, I quit my band so I don't need too much effects on tap, just good old Marshall crunch :bgrin But interesting the way you use it, amazing how much setups change from player to player.
I had GAS for Ice 9 for some time, it sure looks amazing with it's features.

About SD-1, it doesn't just do master volume job, it changes the sound of MA gain, kinda filters out top frequencies and removes some of the fizz you get on stock MA sound. I have tried same thing with EQ pedal, but fizz remains , only SD-1 did the job of removing it. I don't know how and I don't care, lol, but it works.
SD-1 is like 40$, I highly suggest trying it this way, may open some new sounds to you, and if you don't like it, SD-1 works wonders pushing preamp in front too.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 30 Mar 2011, 05:06

Nebulozny
Thank's for the advices. The sad thing is that I used to own a SD-1 many years ago but I guess the VOX ICE 9 should work pretty good also. And since that I bought it recently, if I decide to change it, I will have to pass through the administration concil lolll (women doesn't only complain about playing to load) lollll no i'm kidding she dont care what I do with my money as long as I pay the morgage loll.

By using your setup, are you still able to have a Clean sound when you used the Clean channel ? I do need to play clean once in a wild since a play in a top 40 band. But as you probably guess I have a Hard rock soul so I love to play dirty loll.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 30 Mar 2011, 06:45

Well you sure can buy some new curtains to divert from SD-1 incident, she won't notice your new yellow box , LOL

Clean channel stays clean, until maybe 7-8 on volume, but you can balance it with overdrive channel very nice. Think of this as lets say TSL60 controls, balance everything in preamp section and then adjust overall volume in effects loop, and there are million another ways of setting it in between.
But you can get really nice breakup at clean channel this way, if you try clean on 7 without master volume, it is devastating.
I am still experimenting, but versatility I get now is amazing, you have boosted channel + gain from Bad Monkey, then it's normal overdrive with crunch control + monkey, and clean channel which can go dirty bluesy too now and more if you push it with pedals...

I went to my local music store to show this to guys there, and they were all like WTF is going on in there? Really, not the same MA they hear in store. :jam

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 30 Mar 2011, 07:15

Well new curtains wont work she changed everything last summer, after she put me in contribution with some major renos in the house lolll But their is some hope, she want me take make a new bathroom upstair this summer lolll.

So, I give it a try with my VOX ICE 9 & my GT10 it took me 15 min to plug all those cables in loll (qty5 ) and it's crazy, It a brand new amp ! What's nice with the VOX is that it have a Tone and Bass control and two different types of diodes set up (vintage and modern) that leave me with alot of possibilities.

By using this new method, it does get that fuzziness away leaving a nice compress overdrive with nice colours. And like you said by using different combinations i.e. MA OD or MA OD + GT10 or MA OD + MA Boost or all 3 together I have now 3 stages of distortions from blues crunch to heavy metal madness Yeahh ! lolll

Wow I would say this is the best setup i've tried yet !
Thank's for the advice. I will try to put some videos from my next gig that's comming April 26. To share this with other MA owner !

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 30 Mar 2011, 10:59

Welcome to whole new MA world Phano :Thumbs
I have spent so many time on this forum and others explaining this amazing change that MA can go trough with just an overdrive pedal in effects loop, and again, I have no idea why that fizz goes away but it sure makes a difference.
Then I saw some guys doing this master volume trick on another amps, so I said fuck it, I am gonna try it, it can't destroy it, worst what can happen is a shit sound. And then came another surprise, sounds amazing. :bgrin
Most people make an opinion about MA's listening them at low volumes, without pedals at music stores, and I agree it does sounds mediocre that way, but with little tweaking this is a classic Marshall tone machine.

I am glad you tried it, enjoy new sounds mate. :beerme

-- Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 pm --

I forgot I have much better camera on my new mobile phone, so here it is , my current setup and how it sounds...

[youtube][/youtube]

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 05 Apr 2011, 05:12

I've just tried a bad monkey in the front end myself.....wow what a great pedal! Cost me £25!

I run my MA without the boost, but with gain maxed, using the Bad Monkey as a tube screamer. I find that the 'fizz' people are on about goes away when you reach gig volumes. At practice I have mine on at least 6 and rips peoples eyelids off. Also I run Gold Lion KT77s in my MA. I would highly recommend trying these as they are amazing. The top end is glassyer, and there is more low end rumble but you still get all that EL34 crunch. beautifully balanced. Easily my favourite power tubes at the moment.

Nice one guys, together we will make the MA a classic lol

Return to “Marshall MA”