Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sound Sample of Overdrive pedal in FX LOOP

Postby Phano36 » 25 Apr 2011, 17:16

Ok, for those who wanted a sample of an Overdrive pedal in fx loop used as a master volume.

The OD pedal I use is a VOX ICE 9 hook up in the FX loop with the gain at 0 as I said the VOX is only used as a Master volume.

In other hand, I have my MA100C Gain at 12 o’clock, Bass at 12, mid 10, tremble at 1 OD volume at 10 o’clock.
In the sound clip, I’m driving the rhythm with the MA normal OD and the solo with the Boost.

Note that I’m standing on the right side of the stage (with a Marshall shirt) I’m the one who’s doing the intro and the first solo ! :jam

[youtube][/youtube]

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Sound Sample of Overdrive pedal in FX LOOP

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Apr 2011, 17:42

Sounds good, lot of gain. What was this event, your band is your band that big.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 25 Apr 2011, 18:52

hello surfnorthwest

Yop my band is that big. We are 10. No particular event jsut a gig for fun. we rent that place and sold some tickets that all loll.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 25 Apr 2011, 23:14

That's what I'm talking about :jam
Really nice sound Phano, master volume is really doing the trick, I guess it let's you blend that preamp distortion and small amount of power tube clipping and you have the MArshall sound. I just can't imagine playing my MA without it anymore.
I tried another thing, EQ pedal after overdrive in effects loop so you can actually get more master volume, lowering preamp to about 2-3 and cranking the master this way, and WOW, it gets really loud. And I love the look on my drummers face, hes was like WTF that thing can get even more loud, lol.
This is for those times when you just wanna rip it and crank the sucker to the moon,disturb your neighbours and people passing by on the street. :bgrin

And 10 members band, wow, I had a band with 5 people and it was nightmare to set up the sound on stage, I am more of a ''power trio'' kind a guy now, every man for himself ,lol.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 26 Apr 2011, 05:11

Nothing wrong with that! :jam :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 26 Apr 2011, 13:42

Thank's Guys !
See Steve that beast aint so bad !
Yep Nebulozny, that thing can play very load ! I even sugess to my other guitarist follow at the extreme left of stage to tie himself on the stage with steel cables to prevent him to be blasted off by the shock wave of my MA ha ha ha !

Seriously, I liked this setup very much. Like we dicussed on another post having an OD pedal in the FX Loop does cut all the over brithness. But note also, that when played load, that MA sings even without the FX Loop trick. I really love to play that amp during live performance it have that very dirty Marshall sound that I was expecting.
The only bad thing is that I still have that load POP when switching from OD to clean, I have that replacement JFET 174 to look on and try to fix that issue. At this volume, that transcient noyse could blow one of my speakers.

-- Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm --

oh about the 10 members band.
I usualy play with smaller bands to this band (15 North) (That's an highway in Canada) is a very special band with people who love to play music together just for having a good time and just for fun. In fact we dont play for money. We all have full time jobs. For that last show, we rented that placed and didn't make a penny. but we gave a hell of a show !

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 26 Apr 2011, 23:05

Yup, Marshalls sound best when loud, but you know how the business goes, sound guys want to kill you, you are too loud, bass player gets angry and cranks his amp, drummer looses it and hits the cymbals twice as hard....and it goes on :)
That's why this master volume thing is handy, for playing at slightly lower volumes but still sound good.
I can also recommend digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedal in front of MA, amazing sound and so cheap you can't go wrong with it.

I would love to be in that band Phano, just for fun, I got sick of all the ''serious'' bands that are living in imaginary rock star wannabe world, let's face it, you play covers all the time and you expect to be a rock star....so let's hear your songs...and that's when you realize how much they suck. :bgrin So , I think, point of playing in a band and not being a pro player who plays for living is having as much fun as you can, it's not a job for me.
Some guys go fishing, some guys play golf....in free time,I play Marshall. :yea

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Phano36 » 27 Apr 2011, 05:28

You're right, but I try to keep my volume as pleasant as can be for my other fellows. Sometime you have to do compromises I’m not alone in that band. Loll. So I keep it as low as I can. The only time when I’m full blasting is during solos.

I would like to try that bad monkey of your but if you remember I also use a Boss GT-10
I use one of the 28 OD/distortions in the front of the preamp. The one that I use often is the “Tube screamer” simulation it sounds pretty good for me. Note that even if I’m using an OD in the front I still maintaining the “Tube Screamer” Gain at 0. I used it as a clean boost also. Just to give the amp an extra hump and also because I don’t what that OD to alter the Marshall sound I’m looking for. I also use the GT-10 other effects as the digital delays, octaver, wah wah, harmonist and more. With the GT-10 you are able by using the the FX loop of the amp and of the GT-10 to split the effect chain in two. So I can manage to have some effects like the digital delay, chorus, and reverb etc. after the amp preamp and some other effects like the compressors, wah wah extra OD etc in front of the preamp. That’s cool but you almost need a NASA course to hook up all those cables loll (five) plus extra cable for the wireless, now we are at six cables…

About the band, I realize many years ago that playing music would only be a hobby so as long as I don’t have to get money from my pocket to play I’m happy.
The key is to find people that’s think the same as you. Fortunately for me, In the case of the 10 members’ band, they are the one that found me. I was introduced by the bassman who’s a very good friend since more them 15 years.

I also play in a quartet (named “Crossroads”) with the same bassman and the other guitarist that you see in the video. We’ve been playing together for more then 15 years now. Unfortunately we lost our original drummer, he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy 5 years ago and now he is in a rolling chair. I guess that the key thing is just to keep it simple and focus on just having fun! Because you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. Who knows maybe if you travel to Montreal Canada someday, you could be our guess star! Lolll We could blast off the audience with those two MA100C Lolll.

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Nebulozny » 27 Apr 2011, 13:10

Oh well, GT-10 is a beast, I guess you don't need pedals anymore , lol.

I went to local GC here, my friend work there and this guy was trying some amps and he started dissing MA as shit amp for amateurs, so I finally got pissed off and invited him to try the SD-1 in effects loop. Well, he didn't believe it but when he started playing, was really surprised, and was in fact thinking of buyin it. And my friend now introduces MA's to customers with SD-1 , lol. I could get some recognition from Marshall for boosting the sales here haha.

Keep up with the fun Phano, and keep that MA rockin :bgrin

Return to “Marshall MA”