Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

MA = too loud for metal gig

Postby jagermike66 » 19 Jul 2011, 11:34

Hey so I did a gig with my band this weekend, we both have MA50 heads, and apparently our guitar tone was the most awesome of the entire night :) bare in mind there were peavey 6505s, DSL100s, duel rectos, Orange rockerverbs to name a few.

As we were going through a PA as well, its worth mentioning that we were the only band to trigger the power limiter in the venue....cos our amps were too loud....oops. Guess that was my fault and not Marshalls though (he told us to stick it at rehearsal volume...so I did).

:jam

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: MA = too loud for metal gig

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Jul 2011, 12:01

No such thing as "to loud" when playing metal. Last thing that metal needs is for pussies to start whinning about how loud it is. Glad to read the MA was best in show.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 19 Jul 2011, 12:11

haha too true!

yeah well most of the other amps had too much bass and sounded a bit muffled. Quite common unfortunately. Its like ive always said though about the MAs....they may sound a bit think at low volumes but when you get it up to proper gig volume it suddenly all makes sense, and you get a big sound that stays super tight, even with stacks of gain/booster pedals.

thomaso24
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby thomaso24 » 19 Jul 2011, 14:05

Ma needs to be cranked to get that power amp distortion. Only then that amp starts to sing. Without that it sounds week and thin. I used to have MA50 head going into 1936 cab. Sold it to bandmate when I bought VintageModern 2266c. He had it for a while and it sounded nice when played reasonable loud. Eventually he sold it because Haze40 combo he had sounded even better in the end. Nothing wrong with that amp, sounds just too "modern" for me and my bandmate. Dont get me wrong, I love love loud metal even though I play more blues. rock and soul music today.
'If it wasn't for the bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all' - A. King

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 896 times

Postby Papus » 19 Jul 2011, 17:36

Too loud for metal?
WTF?
The pussification has begun :(
Dime that puppy!!!

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby jagermike66 » 20 Jul 2011, 04:40

id like to point out that i didnt think it was too loud....was just funny to see the lights suddenly go out...then a worried looking sound guy run up to our amps in search of the volume nob. Boohoo

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 896 times

Postby Papus » 20 Jul 2011, 16:43

jagermike66 wrote:id like to point out that i didnt think it was too loud....was just funny to see the lights suddenly go out...then a worried looking sound guy run up to our amps in search of the volume nob. Boohoo
The notion of bands blowing the fuses doesn't make sense, at least not in clubs and pubs.
Let's do the maths:

100w head might draw 300-400w total even when dimed.
A typical power outlet can supply 2,400w continuously.
That means an entire band can use 6x 100w amps dimed on a single circuit!
It is unlikely there is only 1 circuit available for stage power, even in the shittiest venues.
We will assume the P.A. and lighting are on separate circuits as they should be in any self-respecting venue.
Even if the P.A. is on the same circuit as the band, you can have 3x 100w heads dimed and still have spare current for a 1,200w P.A.!
So I think some education needs to take place so that we are all aware and logically equipped to put ignorant and decietful sound guys in their place when they try to blame the band for tripping the circuit breakers.
It's more likely the P.A. itself is over-spec'd and drawing too much current through a single circuit due to poor or ignorant installation and the sound guy is looking for a scapegoat.
Don't fall for this shit.
There's no way even the loudest triple-stack metal band could be tripping circuit breakers on their own.
Dime that puppy!!!

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 09 Aug 2011, 21:26

Just a little old people advice guys. If you feel the amp or any tube amp needs to be dimed to sound good save your ears and hearing and get a power soak. It allows the amp to be dimed and keep stage volume at a controllable range. I love volume also and about 6 months ago we had Police show up at a gig because we were too loud also, the difference it was the bar sound guy who cranked everything. Now this is something I will remember for a long time and brag about for ever. Invest in a soak and save your ears.

Just saying.....

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 10 Aug 2011, 00:42

jagermike66 wrote:(he told us to stick it at rehearsal volume...so I did).
Hehe... nice one :jam

Return to “Marshall MA”