Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Pulling tubes..without anesthesia

Postby Lizzy » 30 Aug 2011, 16:55

Question for SteveD or anybody who has tried it, I'm curious about how pulling 2 of the EL-34's will affect the MA100h. Can it be done safely without causing any additional wear or strain on the amp's components? I've read in other amp manuals about doing this and they usually indicate the specific 2 you can pull and also that it will affect the impedence rating of the speaker taps.

Sorry to ask again if this was answered elsewhere.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Pulling tubes..without anesthesia

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Aug 2011, 20:15

You will always run a risk to the transformer and tubes doing that (although it can be done). Can I ask you as to why you would even want too do so? What is it you hope to gain by removing two power tubes? To me 100 watt Marshall's are the shit, I don't buy the 50 watt stuff, I love the roar of a 100 watt. I can't think of a single thing tone wise you would gain by removing tubes.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 31 Aug 2011, 06:40

It's not something we actively encourage but many people do it, although I discourage it on the Vintage Moderns for reasons that aren't applicable to the MA.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Lizzy » 31 Aug 2011, 12:34

Thank you for the reply guys.
My reason for thinking about it was that I wondering if it would let me drive the amp a little harder with the volume knob while getting a little less overall loudness from the amp without having to buy an attenuator. To me the MA100 sounds best (less fizzy, more girth) when the overdrive channel volume is up to at least 7, however at that level I may be too loud for some gigging situations.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Aug 2011, 13:17

Perhaps a better option would be to set your volume level where you want then simple run a overdrive pedal in the loop (one that has a eq) to produce that "girth"
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby jagermike66 » 02 Sep 2011, 01:44

I own a MA50H and even though on paper I get 3dB less headroom than the 100 watt version, I can still drown out a hard hitting drummer when my amp hits the sweet spot! The difference really isnt that much between the 2. Before I would do something as drastic as tube pulling, try some different tube and speaker combinations. Ive heard of people blowing output trannys after pulling 2 tubes which is not a cheap fix! Probably would have been cheaper to sell the 100 watt model then just buy a 50 watter! There are EL34s that break up a bit earlier (groove tubes i think?). Also putting a JJ pre amp tube in V2 helps tame the fizz. Are you running the stock speaker cab with your MA? Cos those speakers are very fizzy IMO. Greenbacks or V30s suit the MA much better and sound nicer when you drive them. Also have a look at the bias too, if under biased the amp could sound a bit thinner.

Phano36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Phano36 » 16 Sep 2011, 03:31

Hello Lizzy,
Surfnorthwest is right, I own a MA100C and I use the FX loop trick and it work great !
I adjust the MA volume around 7 and the Gain around 5. I control the overall volume with an OD pedal in the FX loop. Go check how it sound I putted a video in the forum

a Plus !

Nebulozny
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Nebulozny » 21 Sep 2011, 12:05

Don't pull out those tube man, check out that OD pedal in effects loop trick and adjust volume as you like with preamp volume maxed, it works, or if you don't like OD there just put eq pedal and adjust volume with pedal.

Return to “Marshall MA”