washburn 1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Crunch vs Overdrive.

Postby washburn 1 » 23 Oct 2011, 13:54

Hi guys
First of all i must say that since i bought my MA50H second hand, it seems to work without fault. I have noticed though that when using the crunch section of the amp with eg. crunch full and gain on 7-8 it gives me a little more depth to the sound (than a lower gain setting) but if i switch to overdrive and then turn it down to match the previous crunch, it doesn`t have the same depth and sounds slightly more harsh. I have read from SteveD that the `OD and CRUNCH` pots are piggy backed together (and they are) and that one only works from the other so am unsure as to why the comparable sound settings seem a LITTLE different, (tone/thickness) not huge though. Could the actual pot value etc.etc. be of any conciquence? Any informed guesses?? Would love to hear from you all. Cheers, Kev.

Crunchifyable
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Crunch vs Overdrive.

Postby Crunchifyable » 23 Oct 2011, 20:04

I have the same experience. The overdrive channel, without the boost (1 red light), is much darker than the boosted overdrive channel (2 lights). So much so that the two are sort of incompatible, esp. given the volume difference on the older models.

When I had JJs, the OD channel felt flat and dry compared to the Boost, which was okay. When I switched back to the stock tubes, the OD channel felt fine, but the Boost felt harsh and over-trebly.

It has always been my perception that the Boost increases the treble / high end as well. For me, this is generally something I dislike, since I really would prefer to use the boost as a second channel, rather than simply as a solo-boost.

My only thought is you just have to pick one channel and stick with it, or adjust volume and maybe presence to compensate. For me, the treble knob has a very minor effect on the OD channel.

If you want just more gain, I find a clean boost + an eq in the loop works pretty well to send this amp from classic rock to heavy metal.

But definitely agree this amp is hard to get dialed in. Usually too dark to my ears, but then I adjust things and overcompensate. Always records too dark, unless I am distorting the green channel, in which case it sounds good.

I will say the treble-boost effect of the boost doesn't seem to matter as much if you happen to have the resonance up a bit.

Return to “Marshall MA”