Moderator: longfxukxnhair

thephantum
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 33 times

Hey all

Postby thephantum » 04 Feb 2012, 14:55

I'm new to the forums. I'm the proud owner of a MA100C since Dec 2010 and it seems everytime I look for info on this amp, my search brings me back here. So I finally decided to register. The MA series gets bashed pretty hard in a lot of forums and other places...mostly by people who have only played it for 2 minutes at low volumes. Like me, you all see that this is a damn good Marshall amp and it truly shines when you run it wide open.

I bought mine used and it was manufactured in early 2010, so it's pre-revoicing. I've played it pretty hard, so it's due for a retubing and I've currently got some matched JJ KT77's on the way. I'll be dropping those in and re-biasing this week. I'm expecting the amp to sound even better than it already does once I get those bad boys dialed in. I'm also replacing the pre-amp tubes with JJ 12AX7's.

I've been using a Boss OD-3 in the FX loop as a master volume control and clean boost. I saw a post where someone was using a straight volume pot in the loop as a master volume. I'm actually going to try using a passive volume pedal as a master volume in the FX loop along with an OD-3 clean boost. So essentially SEND => OD-3 => Volume Pedal => RETURN (with some other coloring in there) . I need to get a passive volume pedal first, but I think that setup will give me a lot of options that are purely foot selectable.

Anyway, I absolutely love this amp and am glad I found a place where others see just how damn good it is as well!

Thanks folks.

Rock On!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Hey all

Postby SteveD » 05 Feb 2012, 11:32

Welcome to the forum thephantum. :Thumbs

Yes, bashing Marshall amps is about the only industry actually growing in numbers these days. However, the only person who's opinion matters to you is your own. There's nothing wrong with the sound of the MA as has been proved on numerous occasions here.
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Feb 2012, 14:18

If the MA would have came to market costing $600 more it would have gotten more respect. People see the price and they automatically think its shit, after all other Marshall's cost much more.

Like Steve said, opinions don't matter if the amp is doing what you want then consider it bargain. The MA is a Marshall and it amazes me the amount of people who claim to be Marshall fans who bash amps like the Haze, MA, JMD1, and even the MG series.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jagermike66
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby jagermike66 » 07 Feb 2012, 11:30

hey mate welcome to the forum!

yeah this place is probs the best place on the web for MA stuff. Just about every topic has been covered somewhere!

As for KT77s, im a massive fan of them (i mention them loads on this forum). I cant see you being dissapointed in them, they are pure filth when you push them. I used to use JJ pres too, they are a little darker than the stock ones.

I love meeting people who bash the MA (or any marshall). I play metal mostly so I see alot of 5150s, duel rectos 6505+ etc etc, and yeah they all sound cool, but my 50 watt MA head kills em all live. cuts through like a knife, grunts more, sustains more, has a tighter bottom end, and in most cases....melts more faces. I love the look on their faces when i do my sound check :tounge

Zube
<25
<25
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Zube » 08 Feb 2012, 03:11

hi thephantum

The MA is a good amp, i have had zero problems with mine. Takes a little time to get it tweaked in but thats true with most amps anyway. You can't go wrong for the money, plus you have to trust the Marshall brand and know they wouldnt produce something they didnt believe in.
"Excellence is not a skill, It is an attitude"

Return to “Marshall MA”