Rare JTM 200Marshall Major - whats this thing worth?

JTM amps, JTM45, Bluesbreaker, Black Flag, Offset, 40th Anniversary 45/100

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

GENOTEk
<25
<25
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Rare JTM 200Marshall Major - whats this thing worth?

Postby GENOTEk » 28 Feb 2017, 15:07

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and must say there is some incredible stuff on here.
I am looking for a little bit of help. Around 1995 I got my hands on a Marshal Major that was found in the back of a old cinema in New Zealand. If I remember correctly it had two speaker bins with 8 speakers in each at the time I was unable to take the bins so god knows where they ended up.
I haven't fired this thing up for about 6 years now as I am a heathen and moved to the king of digital the holy grail called the Kemper Profiler ;)
How ever the last time I did crank it up it was a absolute monster!

I'm pretty embarrassed to say it has ended up being a glorified table in the corner of my room to keep it safe.
So what I am wanting to know is what do you think this might be worth? is it collectable? etc. etc.

I have had some interest in it recently and would like to give it a new home as it's a waste being looked up in my room.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I quickly snapped these with my phone if any one would like better pictures just let me know. :headbanger

Marshall JTM photos - dropbox

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 3373 times
Been liked: 5628 times

Re: Rare JTM 200Marshall Major - whats this thing worth?

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Feb 2017, 15:33

This is a Black Flag Major. Very rare and very collectable.
I am very uncomfortable putting a price on this survivor.

Others should chime in including a couple of collectors on this forum. Please profile the shit out of this beast before you sell it to copy its DNA. I would love to import a profile of it into my Kemper.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast'

GENOTEk
<25
<25

Postby GENOTEk » 28 Feb 2017, 15:36

I'd love to here what people think. Thanks for chiming in. I've got no idea really what a ball park figure would be.

GENOTEk
<25
<25

Postby GENOTEk » 28 Feb 2017, 15:59

surfnorthwest wrote:This is a Black Flag Major. Very rare and very collectable.
I am very uncomfortable putting a price on this survivor.

Others should chime in including a couple of collectors on this forum. Please profile the shit out of this beast before you sell it to copy its DNA. I would love to import a profile of it into my Kemper.

Yup, Profiles will be a must before I move it on. Just have to find a nice cab to plug it into but when I do I'll be sure to upload the profiles to this site and the Rig Exchange :yea

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole
Has Liked: 2134 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Postby longfxukxnhair » 28 Feb 2017, 16:04

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

Shecter Blck Market Custom
BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

6100 stack (blue) - Bogner Twin Jet - Engl SE 670 - Mesa Road King - Mesa Mark V:25 - 5150 III LBX

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 3373 times
Been liked: 5628 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Feb 2017, 18:06

Okay I have a little more time. The front panel looks like the old Marshall PA amps, however I have never seen a "Black Flag PA" amp. The band Free used these Marshall PA amps and we all know that iconic sound. The Black Flag amps were only made in the mid 1967 time frame before being renamed JMPs. So you could have a very rare mid 1967 Marshall PA head and one of the first to come with the Major backplate. Again, very rare.

The back of this amp says MAJOR, the Marshall Majors had KT88 power tubes and were made between late 1967 and 1974. To my knowledge there was never a Black Flag Major but I could be wrong, just never heard of one.

It might be worth contacting Marshall directly and provide them with the serial number of the amp to help identify.

One of the members here under the name of "SigiM" will know more about these than me.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast'

GENOTEk
<25
<25

Postby GENOTEk » 28 Feb 2017, 18:17

Its the only one I've ever seen like this. It originally like you said had 4 x kt88s how ever you didn't want to stand in the same room with it! I've run it only ever with 2 x 6550 and still bloody loud! Icontacted marshall about 8 years ago about it as I couldn't find anything identical in their archives this is all they were able to tell me at the time.

Email from Marshall-
That’s a great and interesting piece to have in your collection! Unfortunately we would not be able to authenticate an amplifier only by description or by pictures. Marshall did not use formal date coding in their serial numbers until July of 1969. Based on the serial number provided in your message, it would have been manufactured before that point but no earlier than 1968. The 200 watt Lead amp (model# 1967) was produced from 1967 through 1974. The Marshall 200 (also called the “Pig) was only produced during the year 1967 but the Major was produced in 1968 and afterwards.

We’re sorry, but we are not able to provide appraisal services as we do not work directly with the sales of used or vintage gear and do not control the prices or values of such items.

One of the best ways to get an idea of the current general “market” and value is to monitor online auctions over a period of time. Watching the bids and final selling prices of several of the same items in comparable condition can provide you with a pretty realistic idea of the current perceived value of a particular product is at that time.

Another option would be to contact a retailer that sells used and/or vintage gear to see if they offer appraisal services. Keep in mind, the appraisal value will only be relevant to the current market conditions for that kind of product at that time.

After I got this email I moved around a bit so it's been hidden away for another 6 or 7 years.

Thanks for your information it's very interesting.

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 61 times
Been liked: 677 times

Postby Papus » 28 Feb 2017, 18:30

Holy fucking fuck!
The Holy Grail!

What's it worth? - I don't know, ask Ritchie Blackmore, LOL

Seriously, that it one epic fucking piece of history right there.
A lot of Major's got modded, because they are so difficult to tame under normal "Bar Band" gigging musician conditions. You really need to be playing to 300,000 people at the California Jam to unleash the full potential of this beast.
Looks like yours is stock except for the two pulled valves which are easily reinstated.
I hope it goes to a good home and not to some dumbass fuckwitted hipster who has no idea what he's got his hands on.
Good luck!
Dime that puppy!!!

GENOTEk
<25
<25

Postby GENOTEk » 28 Feb 2017, 18:36

Papus wrote:Holy fucking fuck!
The Holy Grail!

What's it worth? - I don't know, ask Ritchie Blackmore, LOL

Seriously, that it one epic fucking piece of history right there.
A lot of Major's got modded, because they are so difficult to tame under normal "Bar Band" gigging musician conditions. You really need to be playing to 300,000 people at the California Jam to unleash the full potential of this beast.
Looks like yours is stock except for the two pulled valves which are easily reinstated.
I hope it goes to a good home and not to some dumbass fuckwitted hipster who has no idea what he's got his hands on.
Good luck!

LMFAO ask ritchie blackmore you sir made me laugh so hard!
That's my thought exactly If I part with it I need to know it's going to be loved, treasured & most importantly used to full potential. This is a piece of tonal history thats why I've refrained from modding it all these years.

Sigi M
Marshall Museum Curator Friedland Germany
Has Liked: 1411 times
Been liked: 2056 times

Postby Sigi M » 01 Mar 2017, 02:16

Here is my Major 200 PA. These pics were made when I got it. I think it´s built in ´67 like yours. It´s very hard to find out when they were built. These BLACK Flags are very rare. I still work on my Major to refurbish the whole Amp. My problem is to find the right Caps. The BIG one -" Smoothecap" -exploded. :scared2
The worth of a Black Flag Major? In perfect working condition : about 2500 - 3000 USD. It´s a very interesting and collectable Amp but not a very sought after one. Not very interesting as a playersamp. TOOOOOO LOUD!

Sigi
Attachments
received_1932163003675737.jpeg
received_1932163003675737.jpeg (77 KiB) Viewed 760 times
received_1932163027009068.jpeg
received_1932163027009068.jpeg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 760 times
http://www.marshall-forever.de
https://www.facebook.com/MarshallAmpMuseum?ref=hl

Life is short, so let's rock ! ..................and Marshall forever !!!

Sigi M
Has Liked: 1411 times
Been liked: 2056 times

Postby Sigi M » 01 Mar 2017, 08:14

Forgot to say........Welcome to the Roadhouse GENOTEk ! :Cheers

Sigi
http://www.marshall-forever.de
https://www.facebook.com/MarshallAmpMuseum?ref=hl

Life is short, so let's rock ! ..................and Marshall forever !!!

GENOTEk
<25
<25

Postby GENOTEk » 01 Mar 2017, 12:43

Thanks guys for your information and the warm welcome. I've had a few nice tube amps over the years but this is the only one that I've held onto because it is such a relic. It's probably time to give the old girl a bit of a clean up. Pretty much when I was running it I used to run it on full with 2 quads and the would limit it a bit buy running my effects at a low volume making it usable in a room. I used to get a pretty awesome sound but have to confess I ran down the Line 6 modelling road for a while for convenience then grabbed a Peavy Vypyr for a couple of years then flicked that for the Kemper I'm pretty happy with the tones from that these days. :)

danfrank
<25
<25

Postby danfrank » 28 Jan 2018, 11:49

I know this is an old thread but I came across it and thought I could add helpful information...
What the OP has is a 1968 Marshall Major with a JTM "Black Flag" front faceplate. These were left over faceplates from the 1967 (year) Black Flag P.A. amps; there were extra faceplates so they were used for the 1966 (model #) 200 watt P.A. amp. This is the P.A. version of the amp Richie Blackmore used (model # 1967). Confusing, huh? Lol!
This is NOT the same amp as the "Marshall 200" which were made in the year 1967 only and were a short lived amp. Here are a couple of pictures of the P.A. version of the "Marshall 200" amp made in late 1966-early 1967. Notice the differences in the front faceplate:

Pig Front.jpg
Pig Front.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 90 times

Pig Back.jpg
Pig Back.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 90 times

Hope this helps...

Return to “Marshall JTM”