Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Anton DC
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

JTM45 v CLONE

Postby Anton DC » 05 May 2012, 17:58

Anyone have any experience with a Marshall JTM45 reissue (I mean a standard reissue, not any limited edition hand wired version) against a clone such as a Ceriatone? Leaving aside any discussion about whether PCB or hand wired is better in terms of build quality or reliability, is there really much difference soundwise? Or is any difference so small that it's virtually only detectable to someone who knows an original through and through? I wouldn't be too concerned with having a PCB reissue as long as the sound is right but I wouldn't fancy going down the route of having to upgrade various components to bring it up to the same sound or standard as a handwired clone or original.

I guess it's a bit like digital modelling amps in a way - claiming to be a perfect replica of a classic amp but then if you've no experience of the genuine article, how do you know how accurate it is? From what I've read recently, early Bluesbreaker re-issues fell someway short due to speakers, cab size and valves used.

Also I presume a reissue JTM45 would be simple enough to retube with KT66s (with biasing)?
1990 Fender EC Signature Strat
1991 Fender 50s re-issue Telecaster + custom shop Texas Tele p'ups
1976 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1963 Gibson ES 335 TDC
Amps: Marshall VM 2266C, Soldano Hot Rod 50, Marshall Class 5 Mk I combo, Marshall Class 5 Head, Marshall JTM-1H, Fender Super Champ XD
Effects: Radial Switchbone Tonebone ABY, Marshall BB-2, RF-1, VT-1

MarshallInTown
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: JTM45 v CLONE

Postby MarshallInTown » 09 Jun 2012, 02:14

never compared mine with a clone as the are pricey but you can put KT66 in only with rebiasing (thats what I use in mine), its a great amp my only issue was with stock GZ34 that died after a couple days now Im running a JJ by some months without problems and Im waiting a Sovtek to try.

PS : I had a VM combo for a couple years and I can tell you they dont sound the same

Return to “Marshall JTM”