Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jtwoods4
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

what is it worth

Postby jtwoods4 » 30 Oct 2010, 19:28

I have the opportunity to purchase a used marshall super 100 jh and one of the matching 4x12 greenback cabs. The head is 2500 bucks and the cab is 900 bucks. There were only 600 of these amps made and this one is number 262. Is this a good price for the amp and cab?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: what is it worth

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Oct 2010, 20:06

Welcome to the forum.

These are very desirable cabs, $900 isn't a great deal but it certainly is a fair price. These are beautiful cabinets and will sound amazing with that amp. The head I have seen sold over the past couple of years as high as $3400 and seen one sold on the Metro site for as low as $2300.

IMO the deal is fair and over time you won't loose money on this investment. Keep it in good shape and if anything it should appreciate since you will have the matching cabinet which is key to keep them together. Originally here in the states these were only sold as full stacks and if I remember the price tag was north of 6k. At some point someone broke up the stack and probably sold one of the cabinets.

Keep in mind though that the one cabinet is only 100 watts and the amp cranked up is really going to push that single cabinet. I think it might be best if you get the pair to look for another cabinet and just run it as a stack to get the most out of what it can do. This obviously is not a bedroom amp.

It is one bad ass amp if you dig the vintage JTM sound, SteveD here on this forum is the one who made it happen so you have a good resource here for support if needed. If you have the resources to get it you will have one of the amps I consider to be the holy grail of Marshall amps.

Here is our good friend and VM forum member SteveD
[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jtwoods4
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby jtwoods4 » 30 Oct 2010, 22:49

Awesome thank you. The tolex on the amp I can buy is not in new condition. Actually, the amp head is pretty good but speaker cab has tears on a couple of the corners and scuffs along the top. However, the chances of me finding another one like this are 1 in 600. I think the scuffs and rips on the tolex will most likely be overlooked by buyers when I try to sell this amp one day.

On another note I got to test the amp and I connected a thd hot plate and a mild overdrive pedal. The amp volume needed to get the amps great natural overdrives is just way to loud for today's modern bar seen or small rehearsall room. Anyway if I put the amp on 8, attenuate it 8 decibels, and then use the overdrive pedal for leads, I have gotten very close to amp nirvana. The only negative aspect of the attenuator is that I can't take advantage of the greenback break up, which is disappointing. .But hell we can't all play huge venues like these amps were designed for.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 31 Oct 2010, 04:46

Every time I see that demo I cringe!!

It was totally unscripted and done on the fly for a French magazine at the Frankfurt Musicmesse 2006. They told me to keep the description as basic and simple stupid as possible which is easier said than done when you are used to talking technical!

There was no warm up time before playing the guitar which was the only one there and totally wrong for the job. It played horribly and choked out on certain frets. To call it firewood is an insult to firewood.

But hey, any port in a storm eh! Totally forgot about Youtube never letting me forget. :roll
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Oct 2010, 08:05

Hey it wasn't that bad Steve, we all as players know what you mean. When you rolled up the volume on that bad boy with a bend you could hear that Hendrix roar out of the amp, that would be enough for me right there.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby robbo » 15 Mar 2011, 21:52

Hey Steve.. Is it true that, due to air pressure changes, if you're not careful, standing too close to a Marshall 45/100 at extremely loud volumes can run the risk of hair loss? ..
ROBBO..
..I don't like hip-hop music.. and I don't mean to denigrate those who do...
..And to those people who like hip-hop music.. denigrate means 'to put down'..

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 16 Mar 2011, 14:29

It's certainly true in my case!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Onza_Jk » 19 Mar 2011, 11:09

Every time i see that video i want it more and more. I like that strat as well!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Midtown Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern, Marshall JTM Offset, Vox AC15.
Past Marshalls: 1987x, JVM410H, SL5, JMP1, 1960AX, 1936.

ryanmichael95
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 61 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby ryanmichael95 » 20 Mar 2011, 00:21

That amp sure is bad ass!!! :jam
Gibson Les Paul R9 Iced Tea/Bare Knuckle pups
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Mesa Dual Rectifier Multi Watt w/bias mod
Soldano Decatone