Wow...finally made it! Marshall amp question from a newbie.

The Limited Edition Jimi Hendrix Recreation

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

royb3988
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wow...finally made it! Marshall amp question from a newbie.

Postby royb3988 » 29 Nov 2010, 22:07

Greetings one and all...this is my first attempt at a Marshall venue...been a F#nder guy for more than 50 years...still love and play 'em but I think I am finally ready for a Marshall!.
I realize a great deal of what I "hear" from a player, guitar and amp is a combination of all three..(amp itself is about tubes, circuits,speakers etc), but, there is a type of sound that I have heard over the years that has eluded me with my former amps of choice...pedals or not. It is the guitar sound of......"Sunshine of your love" by Cream. Yes it was done in a studio and yes it was taylored for a recording but I have heard that type of thick, almost syrupy sustain from time to time over the last 45 years...Cliffs of Dover is in the neighborhood. I also have been made aware that EC used other types of amps, speakers and guitars from time to time but was that a Marshall on that particular tune and if so...which one?
I am leaning...drastically...towards a VM but would like to find out about that sound on that Cream song.
:dance Many thanks in advance and I must say this is quite a forum of which to be granted membership. I have learned more today about Marshall amps than I have known since Marshall started building amps!
royb3988 :soccer

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Re: Wow...finally made it! Marshall amp question from a new

Postby Vinny » 30 Nov 2010, 01:58

VM or JTM-45.... IMO
Welcome to the Forum!
:chug

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 30 Nov 2010, 04:17

If you can deal with the sheer volume of cranked a 45 or 45/100 (and got the dough) then totally get one. Otherwise the VM will definitely get you there.

Funny, you're fender guy going to Marshall and I've been a Marshall guy thinking of buying a Fender! But I won't abandoned my roots (or the 2 soon to be 3 Marshalls I have).
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Nov 2010, 08:41

Welcome. Sounds like your a very seasoned player so a guy like you will know how to get the most out of a amp. No problem getting the old Cream sound with the Vintage Modern, just use your guitars volume to find the sweet spot. As others say the the JTM45/100 would be a tone machine but the VM is going to much more versitle with more gain. Try both if you can.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 30 Nov 2010, 14:44

Welcome to the forum royb3988. :Thumbs

The Vintage Modern will easily get the Cream sound with a bit of 'woman tone' setting on the guitar itself. :winking

The matching 425 cab or old cab with G12-M greenbacks would also be an important part of the equation.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 01 Dec 2010, 18:35

Hi royb2988!

The main thing is he turned the tone controls down pretty low on his guitar on either pick-up to get that tone. I don't know if you ever saw the "Farewell Concert" at the Royal Albert Hall concert DVD, but Eric gives a little lecture and demonstration on his tone and does that very tone and describes the settings. Someone may have posted a clip of it somewhere here.

p.s. That song, and specifically that guitar sound totally blew my mind the first time I heard it on the radio back when it was just out. I had never heard anything so amazing. It might not hit somebody today with the same intensity, but at the time in that context it was like dropping acid.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby tramp » 01 Dec 2010, 19:18

Beck-Ola wrote:Hi royb2988!

p.s. That song, and specifically that guitar sound totally blew my mind the first time I heard it on the radio back when it was just out. I had never heard anything so amazing. It might not hit somebody today with the same intensity, but at the time in that context it was like dropping acid.

Interestingly enough I'm 23 yo, and I had a similar (almost religious) expirience when i first saw footage of Zeppelin, first heard Jimi, floyd and Cream etc when i was in my Mid to late teens (so in the mid 00's).

Mind you being that age at that time and the music i had heard at the time and growing up on the radio and the fact my parents wheren't into this stuff, I too had never heard anything like it. I cant imagine what it would have been like to have been around hearing this stuff for the first time!

It's why i saved up for my first squier strat and began playing

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 19 Feb 2011, 15:55

The new JMD can also very easily get that and so many other tones; I am a hard core tubes or nothing guy. From the 2203 to the JTM (original;sadly long gone) to a 5150 all tube creations and the JMD acts like them and you for get these amps are digital. Its my main amp now; check it out you might be surprised.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall Super100JH”