MarshallMatt
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

TSL602/Boss RC-3 Loop problem

Postby MarshallMatt » 12 Jan 2013, 14:39

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum as a member but have loved reading about Marshall Amps here forever!

I recently purchased a JCM2000 TSL602 2x12 combo - I can't speak highly enough of it (apart from taking a fair while to dial in my preferred tones). Just a great versatile amp ... and loud as hell. I love it!

Anyway, I've been putting together my 'dream' rig and the last piece of the puzzle was a Boss RC-3 Loop pedal. However, I've struck a problem. When I record say, a chord progression on the Looper via on the Amp's clean channel, as soon as I change the Amp's channel (using the footswitch) to say, the lead channel to play a phrase over the progression I've recorded, my chord progression also changes to the 'lead channel sound' (i.e. Horrible - esp. if it's a jazz or blues thing!)

So, my question is - according to you gurus here, is there a way that I should be connecting my pedal rig so that I can record something on my looper clean and then use the amp's distortion channels to play lead over it (& yet still keep the recorded clean passage coming out of the amp clean?

My pedal rig looks like this: -

Les Paul or Strat > TC Electronics Tuner > Cry Baby > Boss Compressor/Sustainer > Boss Noise Suppressor > MXR EVH Phase 90 > Boss RC-3 Loop Station > Front of TSL602

(I'm also running the Boss Chorus and Boss Delay through the FX Loop)

Sorry for the possibly stupid question - I can play & I know my tones - I just have absolutely no idea about sound engineering or electronics!!!!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: TSL602/Boss RC-3 Loop problem

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Jan 2013, 19:00

Welcome to the Roadhouse. :welcome

Only way to do that with a TSL would be to use two amps. All the looper is doing is sending the signal into the amp and the amp is voiced by the channel you selected. The TSL has a parallel FX loop, so it is still mixing the preamp signal. What you want is a amp with serial effects loop so the effect you are using is not colored by the preamp.

You can try to turn the volume down on your looper to see if that helps (if it even has one). Below is a explanation of the two kinds of loops found in Marshall's.

Serial effects loop - puts things after the preamp in a series connection (ie the signal flows from the preamp into whatever is in the loop, then to the power amp) and behaves like a typical "plug this into that into that" type pedalboard

Parallel FX loop - has "parallel" signal flow (signals running 'side by side'). In a parallel FX loop the signal comes out of the preamp and is split one signal line (let's call this line A) runs through the stuff connected in the FX loop, just like a serial connection. The other line (line B) goes from the preamp right to the power amp. So what you get is a MIX of the "straight through" signal and the effected signal -- some units will have an FX loop mix control usually on the back

The design theory is that, with a parallel loops, you get your "straight through" sound, uncolored, adulterated, or "tone sucked" by whatever is in the FX loop with the stuff in the FX loop offering some 'enhancement'

BTW there are some very simple way to use recording software to do what you want. Obviously record your clean track then play it back as you jam along to record a dirty track.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

dukealexan
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby dukealexan » 13 Jan 2013, 05:27

MarshallMatt wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum as a member but have loved reading about Marshall Amps here forever!

I recently purchased a JCM2000 TSL602 2x12 combo - I can't speak highly enough of it (apart from taking a fair while to dial in my preferred tones). Just a great versatile amp ... and loud as hell. I love it!

Anyway, I've been putting together my 'dream' rig and the last piece of the puzzle was a Boss RC-3 Loop pedal. However, I've struck a problem. When I record say, a chord progression on the Looper via on the Amp's clean channel, as soon as I change the Amp's channel (using the footswitch) to say, the lead channel to play a phrase over the progression I've recorded, my chord progression also changes to the 'lead channel sound' (i.e. Horrible - esp. if it's a jazz or blues thing!)

So, my question is - according to you gurus here, is there a way that I should be connecting my pedal rig so that I can record something on my looper clean and then use the amp's distortion channels to play lead over it (& yet still keep the recorded clean passage coming out of the amp clean?

My pedal rig looks like this: -

Les Paul or Strat > TC Electronics Tuner > Cry Baby > Boss Compressor/Sustainer > Boss Noise Suppressor > MXR EVH Phase 90 > Boss RC-3 Loop Station > Front of TSL602

(I'm also running the Boss Chorus and Boss Delay through the FX Loop)

Sorry for the possibly stupid question - I can play & I know my tones - I just have absolutely no idea about sound engineering or electronics!!!!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks
Besides Surf's option, I think you could stay on the clean channel and get a distortion/overdrive pedal for the lead work in front of the looper to use over the clean looped tracks. When not using looper you can still use the other amp channels.

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 13 Jan 2013, 06:21

To avoid recorded clean part getting dirty it has stay in chain after
dirty pedal, or in your case after your dirty amp channel.
Put boss looper in FX loop.
Your loop is parallel which is not optimal for what you want to do.
But you can try it. If you want to record delay and chorus too, then put
your looper last in loops chain.
If you don't want time efects to be recorded, put looper first.

So let's say you play clean and record it
Next turn, you play on dirty channel but I don't see why would the
recorded part get dirty. It goes only to power amp in parallel with your dirty lead.

Have a try
:dunno

Return to “Marshall JCM”