I finally got the TSL ('98) fixed and modded after two years sitting disassembled on my dining room table. I added a choke, replaced the main board, replaced the crap footswitch cable and did a few of the Antimonium Amps mods. I might go back at some point and change a few things in there but I am happy for now as before it was not usable for me. I would like to thank member Anitoli for sharing his trade secret for working on PCB's. It was a very valuable trick to learn and saved me a lot of grief. I now have another usable backup amp and can send my 6100 into him to recap.
At the same time that I was getting this done I was also looking for a second CADe100 for recording. I found a for parts only one. I had a feeling that it was non working because of corrosion in the battery compartment and scratchy switches. I took a gamble and that was indeed the problem. I cleaned it up and charged up new 9 volts and all is well. These mics are good for many things but it seems so far they are great on guitar cabinets and as overheads. The mic has a very flat, realistic response and as result some don't like them for that reason. I wanted to kill three birds with one stone as the strings are new as well, so I tested the mic and recorded the amp.
A little background information on signal chain. I used a Ibanez SZ320 with a Dimarzio EVO in the bridge. The guitar is a mahogany body and glued mahogany neck, a full maple cap, custom wiring, D'addario 10-52, Gotoh 510 wrap around bridge and I am not sure of the fingerboard wood. That was plugged into my pedalboard:
As you can see it is a bit of a mess right now. I bought the MIDI EQ used and haven't really wired it in yet and I needed to add quality buffers to the board as the pedal switcher ones are terrible. The PureTone buffers are an impedance matcher and make a great difference in the sound. I still need two more for the effects loop yet as the TSL loop is really kinda not all that good either. As a result I broke out the VOX loop buffer, that is also an impedance matcher, I bought in the 90's for the terrible loop in my Valve State 8100. For the switching I made a custom adapter to switch the clean, crunch and lead channels only from the pedalboard.
The thing that bothers me with the TSL is lack of a master volume, with the VOX I now have one. I ran the send and return about even and got the amp about as loud as I could while still having a clean, clean section. I ran the amp and cab at 16 0hms with 12awg wire inside and out. The speakers are well broken in 75 watt Celesions. Here is the microphone arrangement:
I center mic'd the top left and right with the CADe100's as the bottom speakers get a little woofy for my tastes. I pointed the SM57 and the AKG c5600 just off the dust cap. Doing my best to adjust for phase alignment. Out from the 20ft cable is a 100' snake then on to a Presonus 16/4/2. The preamps in this board are very dry and neutral sounding. I was initially disappointed but I can ad outboard gear as needed later. I recorded with Capture which is dead easy to use. I imported the files to Studio One and normalized the tracks and all mics are equal volume. I panned the e100's left/right and the other two straight up. I exported those file to a wave file. The version of the mastering software that I have doesn't support mp3 so I loaded them to Lame mp3 and loaded them here. As a result of the mp3 conversion it will be just a little more compressed than the original. These are one take recordings without any warmup and aren't a talent showcase, just amp sound clips. My one string is just slightly out of tune for two uploads so I apologize as that kind of thing usually drives me nuts with posted clips.
First is the clean, the pickup is kinda dry and very tight. It really doesn't have much color and really sounds best through my JMD. The clean sound is nearly perfect for what I want though and I am very happy with it. The riff is just a picking practice song.
Next is the crunch channel. I originally disliked the channel but I then realized that it is perfect for doom metal. I don't have an amp for that other than and unrealized channel in the JMD so this channel will work well and it sounds good boosted. I played the same riff for the crunch and lead to be able to perceive the difference easier between the two. This is only a non boosted rhythm track.
Next is the lead channel. This channel is modded much more to my liking. I can roll back the volume on the guitar and get a jcm800 or maybe AFD type of sound, very Marshall or modded Marshall sounding.
Next is the lead channel boosted. This sounds pretty close to what I like. It is a little to tight for my liking but this amp is for dropped tuning mostly anyway. I used a variation of a tube screamer with a mid cut/boost to get rid of the mid hump you always get with those pedals. This is just me wanking for a minute. I am not a practicing lead player anymore so there will be no lead guitar clips. I really wanted to use multiple pickup positions but I never replaced the neck pickup and it sounds like garbage.
In closing I think the mods are a success. I really never wanted to be one of those guys that messed with a circuit instead of just buying another amp but modding amps has become a bit of fun for me and it keeps me in the Marshall family. I really am not going to go into details of the mods as I find them to be a bit boring to most average readers unless I am asked to explain them.
I wanted to have a couple clips of some single coil sounds that are funky, jammy and bluesy but I have been getting my ass handed to me lately at work so time is at a premium. Any questions, comments and constructive criticism is very welcome, thanks.