Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Lizzy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Help needed 2205 won’t change channels

Postby Lizzy » 12 Sep 2012, 16:34

I have a 1987 vintage JCM 800 2205 that will not change from gain channel back to clean. It had this problem a while back when I first bought it used off of eBay and I had a tech fix it (not sure what he did) but now it is back again.
I had been using a standard 2 button Carvin FS22 (no lights/leds) to change channels but I also have used the 2 button footswitch that came with my Marshall MA-100h which does have lights. I was thinking perhaps using a footswitch that has lights on it may cause the problem. It will not change channels with either footswitch presently.

I’m wondering if this is a known problem with the 2205/2210’s and if so what is the fix?
I will probably have to take it back to a shop to repair but I’d still like to have the knowledge of what they should do to resolve it so I can make sure the correct fix is applied.

Thanks!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Help needed 2205 won’t change channels

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Sep 2012, 18:22

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

pleximaster
1-Watt Master
1-Watt Master
Has Liked: 44 times
Been liked: 173 times

Re: Help needed 2205 won’t change channels

Postby pleximaster » 12 Sep 2012, 23:59

Very common on these. The switching circuitry is controlled by a IC chip that runs a big capacitor (330uF electrolyte i think) that acts as a "spring" holding the channel instead of a relay. It could be either the capacitor or the IC chip that needs to be replaced. Increasing the capacitor helps temporarily then the IC dies for sure. I don´t remember the particular IC chip but I think its printed on it. The unit is not made any more but there a million of these on eBay for a buck or two. Have a tech replace both. Heads up some PCB boards of the JCM800 area are very fragile and one should be very careful when working on them!!!

I am having the same issue on one of my split channels got the chip and the capacitor but not the time... I got to get a soldering gun for IC chip as well otherwise I could have made an illustration. I don’t use the clean channel much anyway and it’s the dirty that’s on default.

best plexi

Return to “Marshall JCM”