Moderator: longfxukxnhair

traylestrat
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Kerry King JCM 2203

Postby traylestrat » 08 Oct 2008, 18:48

Hey folks, I played through the 2203KK several weeks back, had the most fun I've had in a while. I was struck by the noise gate/ suppressor. I mean, it tightened up the chunk, palm muting, what have you, immensely. Now, I figure whether it's a decimator, boss N2, mxr, Marshall has really got that part of the circuit dialed in. Any one with a similar experience? Any pedal out there to accomplish the same thing? We're not just talking about noise suppression, rather, gating to the point of effect. Easily done in the studio for me, but in the amp rig/chain, it's another story. I'd welcome any input.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 09 Oct 2008, 06:11

try a rocktron hush for that
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 16 Oct 2008, 01:02

I think kerry King plays like he hates his guitar. sounds like a machine going on and off :D

traylestrat
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby traylestrat » 16 Oct 2008, 10:54

Mats A wrote:I think kerry King plays like he hates his guitar. sounds like a machine going on and off :D
Maybe so, but I sure had fun with his amp and it reminded me of some production techniques that can be applied to a guitar rig that I'd long since forgotten about.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 16 Oct 2008, 11:11

I had a Rocktron HUSH in my live rack and it worked OK, now I am talking about their rack unit and not their pedal. I had it because how noisy my gear could get from venue to venue. Problem with it though is I would loose control of my amp if I dialed the volume to low on the guitar to cut through the HUSH.

I know people rave about the Decemator but the bottom line with these noise suppressors is they are super tone suckers. I think a player is better off using a good power conditioner with good cables. Of course it helps to have quality quite pedals also. In the studio I have some great VSTs from Waves that can filter anything if you want in a frequency while mastering.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall JCM”