Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

LP Body Size

Postby Bailz » 18 Aug 2009, 01:52

As a lot of you know I own a Gibson LP Custom and a 2004 Standard. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with both of them recently and I'm a little confused about something.

The Custom physically feels a lot bigger and beefier (it's also sonically far superior with a bigger sound) than the Standard. Are my instincts right in that Gibson have shrunk the size of the bodies of the modern day Standards compared to the older designs used for the Customs and presumably the VOS models?

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Re: LP Body Size

Postby gtrman » 18 Aug 2009, 04:16

Bailz wrote:As a lot of you know I own a Gibson LP Custom and a 2004 Standard. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with both of them recently and I'm a little confused about something.

The Custom physically feels a lot bigger and beefier (it's also sonically far superior with a bigger sound) than the Standard. Are my instincts right in that Gibson have shrunk the size of the bodies of the modern day Standards compared to the older designs used for the Customs and presumably the VOS models?
I have both the Custom and the Standard and agree with your conclusions. The Custom is a notch better in both feel, sound and overall playability.
My standard is the model with the 60 slim neck so that in itself makes it alot different as far as playability. I do love em both.
I gig with the Standard and it has seen some road wear & tear and that makes me hesitant to use the white Custom live ... it just looks so damn pure & mint when it's new !
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Return to “Guitars”