Moderator: longfxukxnhair

cdub
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Strat

Postby cdub » 08 Aug 2008, 10:55

My daughter has a Squier Strat that she got from an uncle. She is starting to really get into playing (on occasions). She always gets discouraged because her Squier doesn't sound as good as my Les Paul. I'm a little reluctant to buy her a better guitar until she really decides if she wants to devote the time to playing. So I did what any good father would do. I bought myself a new Mexican Strat and put together a new pickguard with SCN's and CTS pots (didn't pull the trigger on the RS pots though). I then took the pickguard assembly out of the Mexican strat and put it in her Squier. :lol:

And let me tell you, her guitar sounds 100% better!

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 08 Aug 2008, 12:47

That's the way to do it. Now you're both happy! :wink:

BTW, I tried the RS pots in my Strat & didn't like them at all. They're the same short shaft pots they sell for Les Pauls & they almost fit. Stick with the CTS.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Aug 2008, 15:57

I might have a bit of different thinking here when it comes to kids learning and playing. To me the advice I always give is if your kid is showing real interest in the guitar and is truly trying to learn then why not get them the best playing/sounding guitar you can afford. To me nothing keeps a player from taking that next step more than a crappy playing or sounding guitar, they need to hear a tone that will make them better by hearing the notes and a guitar that is easy to chord and dance up and down the fretboard.

If you buy a good used Strat, Tele, or LP that someone has already sucked up the depreceation you later you can always sell it and get your money back.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

cdub
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby cdub » 12 Aug 2008, 06:32

I completely agree with you Surf, but she isn't to the point where I believe that is necessary though. Once she shows that she wants to play guitar and is enthusiastic about it she will probably get a nice guitar. I just don't want to spend the money just to have her decide in 6 months that she doesn't really want to play. She is still learning the basic chords and switching between them now though.

Return to “Guitars”