Total votes: 12

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Japanese Fenders

Postby Bailz » 29 Jan 2010, 05:17

I've decided that the next addition to the family should be a Telecaster and I'm quite tempted by the '52 re-issues. However, I'm not prepared to pay £1,200 for a guitar that (at the moment) will probably never be in my gig rig.

I've been pointed to Fender Japan as a possible source (they're only £800) there but I'm unsure of the quality. I have heard some good things about them but just wanted more of a wide opinion.

Thoughts?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Japanese Fenders

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Jan 2010, 07:25

I owned a Jap Strat way back in the early 80s and thought it was a good guitar. At the time I felt the quality was as good as the American ones at that time. IMO they do not have the sound quality of the new American Strats but like any guitar you will need to play it yourself.

A strat should knock your socks off, when one does that is the one you want.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lespaulnmarshall
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby lespaulnmarshall » 29 Jan 2010, 11:49

surfnorthwest wrote:I owned a Jap Strat way back in the early 80s and thought it was a good guitar. At the time I felt the quality was as good as the American ones at that time. IMO they do not have the sound quality of the new American Strats but like any guitar you will need to play it yourself.

A strat should knock your socks off, when one does that is the one you want.
Well some of the squier jap teles and strats are better than the current USA standard teles and strats. I own one of those, it's an 89' squier jap tele, awsome guitar, I'll never sell it :)
Favourite amps:

Vintage Modern
Bluesbreaker
JCM800

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 29 Jan 2010, 15:21

Like Surf, I had a Jap Strat in the early nineties and it was a damn fine instrument. I've stated before that the Japanese made Les Paul I used to have was every bit as good as the Gibson Custom Shop model I now have and I stand by that. Really wish I hadn't sold it.

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 29 Jan 2010, 16:33

If its an early '82 Japanese Fender (not Squier), then it could be a find.

The first JV series were assembled in Japan with old stock USA parts.

(I had a min three tone sunburst JV 62 style. Nicest thing I've ever seen. I gave to my brother for painting my house years ago. Damn,)

See the story on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

The first Fender Japan models introduced in May 1982, were the 1957 and 1962 series which were Fender Stratocaster models ST'57-115, ST'57-85, ST'57-65, ST'62-115, ST'62-85, ST'62-65. These models were Fender models and not Squier models. They had Fender USA pickups installed and were made for the Japanese market only and not for export [1].

Fender soon added a less expensive export Squier series based on the Fender Japan 1957 and 1962 series in July/August 1982, which had a large Fender logo with a smaller Squier logo and had a zinc rather than a steel tremolo block and had Fender USA pickups installed.

The first Fender Japan guitars are known as the JV Fenders with JV standing for Japanese Vintage and were made by the FujiGen Gakki factory in Japan, using technical support from Fender USA.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 30 Jan 2010, 23:26

Nothing wrong at all with them, including the Mexi's and alot of people say the Squier Vibe one's are great as well. That may be another option to satisfy your Tele G.A.S. and alot cheaper. Like any guitar I prefer to check it out first or have the option to send it back if it doesn't have the mojo or feel.

Return to “Guitars”