Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Any experience with ESP guitars

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Feb 2010, 18:21

This past weekend I got to play this ESP guitar through a Triple Rectifier and could not believe how good the guitar played, some pretty bad ass metal power chords from that combo. I tried like heck to wack the thing out of tune and could not do it with the Floyd Rose. Also had that cool Eddie Van Halen d-tuna.

The thing is defentitly a metal/hard rock guitar and with the active EMGs is really fun to play. Not much use for what I am currently recording now but thinking about getting one of these just for fun. (plus its only like $800)

■Set-Thru Construction
■25.5" Scale
■Mahogany Body
■Quilted Maple Top
■Maple Neck
■Rosewood Fingerboard
■42mm Locking Nut
■Thin U Neck Contour
■24 XJ Frets
■Black Nickel Hardware
■Grover Tuners
■Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge
■EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) Active p.u.

Here is a video of Monkey Dude that I always see these Marshall demos playing this guitar

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Re: Any experience with ESP guitars

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Feb 2010, 19:38

Yea sweet guitars Faze, but I don't want to lay out that kind of money for something I am not going to use seriously. The ESP was simply a cheap guitar to have fun with using those wacko EMGs. I just thought for $800 I could have a little trash axe, I don't record that stuff anyways but like to play it once in awhile.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 08 Feb 2010, 20:04

It sure looks hot. How was its liveliness and sustain when unplugged? Don't know that guitar, but long scale, thin neck, double cut guitars seem to not have much liveliness or sustain when unplugged. I think they're designed that way to remain focused with the gain above "20". If that's where you're headed, it should be a blast. But for more harmonic content and versatility, you could check out a thick neck model. Like some Jacksons I think.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Feb 2010, 20:27

How was its liveliness and sustain when unplugged
Honestly I did not check it out because the place I was trying it was so loud. But I would imagine it would suck with that stupid Floyd. Again kinda of a toy for the tool box. But those EMGs just smoke with high gain. I did not think the leads were that good but man the rythem stuff was pretty cool.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 09 Feb 2010, 03:53

If you want an EMG equipped hard tail shredder, then a Godin Redline 2 fits the bill. Made in North America.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinredlineseriesp.htm
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Feb 2010, 07:19

Thanks for that link ex Mesa, I had no idea Godin was building those. I am a fan of Godin guitars, I have the LGX-SA. The ESP and Godin Redline are very close in price but I know Godin will be better quality plus the trem on the Godins are licenced floyds. I would rather have the hardtail anyways.

I will look into it further,
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Lungo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lungo » 10 Feb 2010, 12:20

You're still jonesing for an EMG equipped guitar? Even after getting the Warpig for your Carvin?

I really can't say I blame you. I am debating trying some EMGs in my Robin Machete. I'm sick of buying pickups though.

Return to “Guitars”