Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Maintaining an Electric Guitar?

Postby LivewireBlanco » 18 Nov 2010, 13:51

Humidifiers aren't really needed for an electric guitar since they aren't as picky as an acoustic. The main thing is keeping your guitar in its case and storing it in an invironment where you would be comfortable. When exposing the guitar to extreme temperatures whether hot or cold it's important to keep the guitar in it's case until it can get aclimated to it's evironment. An example would be leaving it over night in a trailer on a really cold night and then bringing the guitar into your warm house. You would need to leave the guitar in its case until it warms up slowly from the house before you open the case.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 18 Nov 2010, 17:01

Yeah it shouldn't matter as much for an electric solidbody. As Livewire said the big thing is temperature changes shouldn't be extreme. I will bring a cold case into a warm room and try to let it sit a bit, then when setting up stuff maybe just undo the locks and just prop it open a bit.

What kind of fretboard do you have?

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 18 Nov 2010, 17:15

Welcome Adam. :howdy

I live in the desert too, and really don't have issues with any of my guitars.
I only use my cases for transport. I do not leave my guitars in a car or somewhere where the temperature fluctuates too much. Usually in my house on stands or wall hangers.
It is however a good idea to learn basic guitar maintenance, there are many good (and some not so good) videos on YouTube that will show you how to make adjustments to your guitar for optimal performance & tone. It's a really good idea to learn about setting action, intonation, pickup height & how to properly adjust truss rods.
All these things will become needed at one time or another and they're really not that hard.

Return to “Guitars”