Favourite plexi setting

JMP amplifiers, 1959/ 1987/ 1992/ 1986 (non-MV) 2203/ 2204 (MV)

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Favourite plexi setting

Postby StephenRutledge » 17 Jun 2010, 23:52

50 watt metroamp plexi into Input of channel 1 (top left) running quad box loaded with x2 G12Cs and x2 G12H 75hz blackbacks.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Favourite plexi setting

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jun 2010, 04:50

Most people run the bass way back on these amps as do I. On my 100 watt 69 build I jumper the inputs by connecting a cable between the bottom left and top right inputs then my guitar goes into the top left input. Vol 1 set at 40% and Vol 2 at 30%. Anything more is just brutal.

Currently I am looking into installing a London Power scaling mod on my amp, check it out.

http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... f=2&t=5613
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 18 Jun 2010, 18:01

surfnorthwest wrote:Most people run the bass way back on these amps as do I. On my 100 watt 69 build I jumper the inputs by connecting a cable between the bottom left and top right inputs then my guitar goes into the top left input. Vol 1 set at 40% and Vol 2 at 30%. Anything more is just brutal.

Currently I am looking into installing a London Power scaling mod on my amp, check it out.

http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... f=2&t=5613
I'm looking to install the Lar/Mar PPI MV Kit to help tame the beast http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?mai ... cts_id=498
The settings I've got up are based on Eric Johnson's settings. The cool thing about running the tone controls at very low levels is it's feeding less signal into the power amp but you still get power amp break-up without as much volume. Still really loud though!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jun 2010, 19:21

Don't waste your money. IMO that does nothing more than what jumpering your channels do, I had one installed on my old 50 watt plexi. Yes it is a Master volume but you still have to crank that master to get really great tone. At low volumes don't expect driving tones with the PPIMV mod. IMO for these amps you either use a attenuator or the new Power Scaling technoligy.

I did not know much about Power Scaling until earlier this week, but when I played my first amp with this mod installed it totally sold me, it works. I emailed the company (from Canada) and there is no license to install the mod since I am not a manufacture.

They told me I need two parts (listed below) and my amp tech who is really good said he could install it in a couple hours. If you read up on Power Scaling I think you might agree that is a much better option than the PPIMV mod.

Here are the two parts you would need, the SB-1 and the RBX

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7
SB-1 - Super Power Scaling Kit $78

RBX Raw Bias Auxiliary Supply $60

I am ordering the parts today and will get it installed while I am away on vacation. According to a coversation I had with my tech who is pretty good he agrees that this mod is really the only solution to get the wonderful plexi drive and then take it down to 5 watts.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 19 Jun 2010, 00:17

I plug my Metro JTM45 into the top channel 1 hole and jumper the two. Volume at 7 on high treble and about half on normal channel. Bass below 2 (anything more and it gets flubby, it was designed from a bass amp after all). Treble, mids are relatively low around 10 or 11 oclock. Presence about 11. Plugged into an Avatar 2x12 with G12C Greenbacks. Use a touch of OCD pedal for extra grit and there you go! :Thumbs
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 19 Jun 2010, 19:07

surfnorthwest wrote:Don't waste your money. IMO that does nothing more than what jumpering your channels do, I had one installed on my old 50 watt plexi. Yes it is a Master volume but you still have to crank that master to get really great tone. At low volumes don't expect driving tones with the PPIMV mod. IMO for these amps you either use a attenuator or the new Power Scaling technoligy.

I did not know much about Power Scaling until earlier this week, but when I played my first amp with this mod installed it totally sold me, it works. I emailed the company (from Canada) and there is no license to install the mod since I am not a manufacture.

They told me I need two parts (listed below) and my amp tech who is really good said he could install it in a couple hours. If you read up on Power Scaling I think you might agree that is a much better option than the PPIMV mod.

Here are the two parts you would need, the SB-1 and the RBX

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7
SB-1 - Super Power Scaling Kit $78

RBX Raw Bias Auxiliary Supply $60

I am ordering the parts today and will get it installed while I am away on vacation. According to a coversation I had with my tech who is pretty good he agrees that this mod is really the only solution to get the wonderful plexi drive and then take it down to 5 watts.
Yeah that was the other option. My brother would agree with you on using VVR type mods as the way to go with a plexi. Dana Hall's VVR power scaling is another well known design: http://www.hallamplification.com/main.html#2,2

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Jun 2010, 20:12

Check this video out of the Suhr Badger 18 watt amp with built in power scaling. At 7:57 he starts to dial in the Power Scale. It is a fine example of keeping your driven tone at lower volumes. I think it is also proof that this is much better than any attenuator. The example in the video is exacatly what I experienced a few days ago on another amp that had the Power Scaling installed. This is going to be so cool for my Metro.

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 20 Jun 2010, 19:04

surfnorthwest wrote:Check this video out of the Suhr Badger 18 watt amp with built in power scaling. At 7:57 he starts to dial in the Power Scale. It is a fine example of keeping your driven tone at lower volumes. I think it is also proof that this is much better than any attenuator. The example in the video is exacatly what I experienced a few days ago on another amp that had the Power Scaling installed. This is going to be so cool for my Metro.

[youtube][/youtube]
SOLD!

thanks Surf :)

wharris
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby wharris » 22 Jul 2010, 21:50

LivewireBlanco wrote:I plug my Metro JTM45 into the top channel 1 hole and jumper the two. Volume at 7 on high treble and about half on normal channel. Bass below 2 (anything more and it gets flubby, it was designed from a bass amp after all). Treble, mids are relatively low around 10 or 11 oclock. Presence about 11. Plugged into an Avatar 2x12 with G12C Greenbacks. Use a touch of OCD pedal for extra grit and there you go! :Thumbs
I put my JTM45 Presence at 1-2, Mids 10, Bass 1-2. Volumes same as you with a Y cable. That's one sweet little amp.
Amps: 2266 VM head, 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Metropoulos '68 12,000 Plexi Super Lead
Cabs: 425A, Buzzbomb w/Scholz Sugarcones, Mesa Lonestar 2x12
Guitars: Gibson R0 Les Paul, Bonamassa Les Paul #155, '09 DaPra Bourbon Fade 59 RI Les Paul, American Standard Stratocaster

bmi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 6 times

Postby bmi » 22 Jul 2010, 23:19

The london power scaling changes the polarisation of the power tubes.
With a clean sound on your preamp by just lowering the power scale you can get an overdrive.
For someone who wants to get the natural sound of your amp it fails.
If you change the polarisation of the power tubes you change your amp.
I prefer the ppimv alone or combined with an attenuator.

Return to “Marshall JMP”