78 jmp 100 watt markII 4 input non master

JMP amplifiers, 1959/ 1987/ 1992/ 1986 (non-MV) 2203/ 2204 (MV)

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

snatch
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

78 jmp 100 watt markII 4 input non master

Postby snatch » 18 Nov 2009, 07:51

I have the chance to trade one of my les paul studios for a 78 jmp mark 2 non master with four inputs.does anyone have any experience with these?what are the differences between these and the master volume jmp's?are they similar in tone or is this amp more like a pcb version of the earlier handwired 1959slp?
fender american deluxe fat strat
gibson melody maker
mesa single rectifier
2466 vintage modern
1960 a and b 4x12

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: 78 jmp 100 watt markII 4 input non master

Postby LivewireBlanco » 18 Nov 2009, 12:57

I couldn't tell you all the differences between them and their early Plexi counterparts, but I do know that the JMP has more gain and is a bit brighter. Other than that I couldn't tell you. I would say try out the amp first and if it sounds good then go for it. I think it would be a good trade.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: 78 jmp 100 watt markII 4 input non master

Postby ClubAndCountry » 18 Nov 2009, 16:06

It is basically a later version of the 1959 Super Lead - no master volume, so if you want it to distort you'll need an attenuator (or earplugs!).

The usual warnings with vintage Marshalls apply - since it's a vintage amp now even if not a small-logo turret-board one - before you take it, make sure it's been checked for originality (especially the transformers), mods (including old removed ones), filter caps, voltage and impedance selectors, screen resistors fitted, bias etc. There's a lot of potential value difference between a perfect fully overhauled example, an original needing a service, a previously repaired one, and a hacked wreck... and a lot of these amps were the victims of hacking, or just poor repair and maintenance. Even if it appears original and in working order, it's a good idea to have it professionally checked before you use it - you can do a lot of damage in a very short time if there's something just about to fail that can take other major components with it. Something as trivial as a bad contact in the impedance selector can blow an original output transformer.

But if it's a good one, these are great amps and currently very undervalued compared to the older and cosmetically more desirable small-logo models.

Return to “Marshall JMP”