Moderator: longfxukxnhair

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Marshall 6101

Postby DeanM » 03 Dec 2009, 12:48

Just saw one of these used today. its condition is "extensively gigged" and the guy said on the advert he'd take €300! all i know is its a 100watt combo, blue limited edition model. three channels.

he also said this. . .
"It's fully functional and there are only two things wrong with it, it is missing the volume knob, and the high gain switch for the third channel is stuck in the on position".

i dont really need an amp or even really want another one at the mo but those probs above i can fix easily so i was thinkin for €300 maybe it would be worth grabbin?

does anyone have any thoughts on this amp? and that price? would it be a steal? or if i dont need it should i bother checkin it out?
cheers.
DeanM.
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Erikk Von Hyde
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Marshall 6101

Postby Erikk Von Hyde » 03 Dec 2009, 16:39

I had a 30th Ann head, the black 6100-LM model, and it SMOKED! I have never played one of the 6101 combos though, not sure there but there's not any circuit difference of course. If it's an older blue model without the lead mod (minus the 'LM' in the model descrip) that may be an awesome scoop, the blue amps are far beyond the black ones to mine and everybody else's ears I know who's played one. The blues were the initial run statring in '92 and have a much more oragnic and open tone with 'air' and headroom whereas the latter 'Lead Mod' models became more boxy and fizzy in general the way their gain stages were juiced.

Any 30th Anniversary Marshall for under $1,000 would be worth looking into for sure
" Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy "

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 04 Dec 2009, 02:42

Though one.
I have one and I bought it used. Payed more than twice what you were offered, but it was in descent condition.
I have had it checked over and retubed the powertubes so now its working good.
Sounds killer and it's really handy but it's still 100w so it's heavy as a m*f*....

If you have somebody who can look it over that wont charge you and arm and a leg ... go for it !
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 05 Dec 2009, 07:17

These amps don't have the best reputation for reliability and serviceability - they're extremely complex, quite difficult to work on and contain parts that are not really standard items in a valve amp (especially in the Midi-controlled switching circuit) - and the combo seems to suffer from heat-related issues and is harder to work on than the head - but for €300, buy it. The speaker alone is probably worth nearly that.

From the description, it doesn't sound like any of the more serious faults are present - the missing knob is as easy to replace as pushing a new one on, and the stuck gain switch is not part of the main control circuit and easily replaced by a tech.

Return to “Marshall General Discussion”