Moderator: longfxukxnhair

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor
Has Liked: 404 times
Been liked: 599 times

Re: Minor Pentatonic

Postby ClassicRock88 » 22 Jan 2014, 09:45

Al - How did you go about learning? I would love to learn the theory side. I took three years of lessons in college and I have done some self taught stuff but I am very sketchy on my theory. I have never found a good way to remember it. I bought the book "Fretboard Logic" and I have been reading it and practicing some of the CAGED exercises, but the back-to-square-one aspect of going through that program is kind of frustrating. The way it is set up, you can't really skip around.

Also, do people use this in application? I mean, obviously when writing or composing a piece of music they do. However, I take a lot of my solos and improv them. I have certain landmark areas that i play the same each time, but between those I usually just play around using a pentatonic base with half and full steps added as I feel (or mistakenly stumble into). I am comfortable moving up and down the neck but I don't think of the actual "form" as it moves up and down the neck. I've just learned through practice and trial and error where the relationships are in relation to Positions 1 and 2 (what CAGED method calls "G form Pentatonic" and "E form Pentatonic").

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: Minor Pentatonic

Postby Alpeggio » 22 Jan 2014, 12:02

Hi ClassicRock88, I went about it by first learning the natural scales (Modes) in triplets per string form, and the relation between them. e.g. Am scale has the same notes as B locrian and C major, but these can, in the key of Am, simply be considered as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions of Am, but in my mind I'm playing Am, B locrian or C major, because it gives them a name to remember for each position.

Scales are the building blocks of chords, and this is what dictates the chords that must be played in a given key. They also give chords special names, like suspended 4th is when the 4th note in the scale is included in a chord, same with a 7th chord, the 7th note in the scale ( from where the chord is rooted) is being played in the chord.

Then I got into more exotic scales like the Harmonic scale family, and the Double Harmonic scale family, Japanese Hexatonic scales and Indian scales that can only be played at a certain time of day.

And Arpeggios are simply chords played one note at a time.

I work like you do while improvising, but to me its all shapes, not intervals. I'm listening to where it wants to go, its all about the melody for me.
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

Return to “Roadhouse Technique”