Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LukeWinship
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Joe Bonamassa modal use in blues

Postby LukeWinship » 02 Feb 2010, 01:59

Just a quick question that hopefully someone on here can help me with. Found this youtube clip of Mr Bonamassa playing 12 bar (ish) blues and wondered what mode he is playing in over the A chord of a riff in E minor pentatonic?

The best example on the video comes in at around the 50 second mark but examples of him using this mode are in this video at other times but are not as noticable as the one i've highlighted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
EVH5150iii 50 watt with Matching 2x12 in Ivory. 2004 Les Paul Standard in Trans-amber with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs (Alnico). Caparison C2 Dellinger with EMGs. One Control OC10 with an ever changing cast of pedals from MXR, Dunlop, Eventide, Fulltone, TC etc.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Joe Bonamassa modal use in blues

Postby TonyC » 02 Feb 2010, 04:17

At 0.50 he plays like there was an A7 chord... he plays notes from an A mixolydian scale and accentuate the 4th to 3rd note in the scale.

Try playing these note to get a bit of that feeling (Bend the 1st note a whole tone step from E to F#):

F#, E, D, C#, A, G, E, G, A, D, C#, A

LukeWinship
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Joe Bonamassa modal use in blues

Postby LukeWinship » 02 Feb 2010, 16:02

Cheers Tony!

I had a feeling it was Mixolydian but wasn't sure.

Thanks again dude!
EVH5150iii 50 watt with Matching 2x12 in Ivory. 2004 Les Paul Standard in Trans-amber with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs (Alnico). Caparison C2 Dellinger with EMGs. One Control OC10 with an ever changing cast of pedals from MXR, Dunlop, Eventide, Fulltone, TC etc.

Return to “Roadhouse Technique”