Moderator: longfxukxnhair

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Electric guitar w/ a slide

Postby pillagethesound » 17 Mar 2010, 20:35

So I decided today to finally delve into the world of using a slide, but realize i know nothing on the matter except it sounds sweet. So I am looking for any advice, websites, etc to get things started. Ive heard you often dont use standard tuning for slide, so a good starting point would be common tunings and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Electric guitar w/ a slide

Postby slowpokerhino » 17 Mar 2010, 20:41

I've been trying for quite a while now. So much harder than it looks.
Eventually I'll probably break down and order these instructional DVDs as they look very good.

http://www.learningguitarnow.com/

...and then I'll watch them once (without guitar in hand) and throw them into the pile of instructional DVDs, books, TAB books and other misc. learning tools I mean to get to but never seem to. :crazy

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 18 Mar 2010, 12:14

i learnt led zep's in my time of dying. its a pretty cool place to start and aint hard to learn! but then as altonan pointed out alot of slide songs are done in alternate tunings so thats as far as i got!! lol its actually in open a tuning aswel but i didnt realise that tho till i went to play along with the song!! lol still kinda works tho and sounds cool!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 18 Mar 2010, 14:54

The best way to develop your slide playing is to just start practising and evolve it over time until it starts sounding decent. Different tunings are good for different slide styles and licks but standard tuning is a good starting point.

The main points to be aware of are the delicate touch required from the slide hand, the slide vibrato and techniques for muting extraneous noises.

Higher action does make it easier to play slide and is linked to the delicate touch point.
Still my guitar gently weeps

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 18 Mar 2010, 17:30

As far as tunings go. The website I gave the link to has DVD packages for open E tuning AND standard tuning. He mainly teaches Allman Bros style (which is just fine with me).
Duane and Derek Trucks both play slide in open E but Warren uses standard tuning and does just fine. You absolutely WILL have to raise your action though. Not so much that it isn't playable normally but probably higher than you are used to now.

[youtube][/youtube]

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 19 Mar 2010, 03:38

Tune to DADGAD. Noodle about concentrating on frets with dots.
You'll soon recognise some parts of songs you know!
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

Mikeheath
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Mikeheath » 26 Aug 2010, 12:42

I love playing slide.
In general most of your players will use an open tuning.
I never play in standard tuning

My favorite stuff is Johnny Winter type slide. Also the newest cool guy is Eric Sardinas.

For typical Johnny winter electric slide,
tune to open "D" This is basically open E...but that can severely put too much tension on yor neck.
This is the typical tuning you'll hear on Basic Elmore James type stuff.
To get to open "E"...place your fingers to make an "E" chord.
Then tune your guitar to that, so it makes the "E" chord with no fingers on the fretboard.
What you want to do..is drop that down a step so your guitar is now tuned to open "D" ( All strings one step. )This puts less stress on your neck.
I used to raise the strings up a lot...but I dont anymore. I like to fret notes also with my fingers when playing slide...so I just leave the action normal....

There are a lot of slide dvd's available...some good, some not.
Most are dealing with acoustic style blues slide....
And these will typically be in open "G"
This tuning has an older country-blues feel.
Johnny winters resonator slide stuff is usually in open "G"

Check out a guy named roy rogers.
He played electric slide with john lee hooker and explains stuff fairly well on his dvd.

Theres a really good dvd from bob brozeman. Its acoustic resonator, but its really good for general slide technique. Some exercises , and practice stuff. All the techniques cross-over pretty well to electric.
Guitar World also just put out an electric slide dvd thats only $10.
Andy Aledort teaches the most basic stuff to get you going and its pretty good. Andy explains things real well.

inca_roads
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby inca_roads » 07 Sep 2010, 07:49

As a veteran slider, I'll also offer this:

Practice vibrato first & foremost! Find that singing vocal-like quality with single notes by sliding up to the note and apply the back-and-forth action (vibrato)...

If you're after the Duane/Derek sound a closed-end glass slide is crucial. The medicine bottle/Coricidin types are best, and the thicker the glass, the better. There are debates about the bottle having a seam or not, but I fail to see any difference that matters. Playing without a pick is a big part of this sound too.

Lowell George of Little Feat used a Craftsman socket...

Good luck!
"Regret comes not from doing but from not doing..." --B.L. Rodgers

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time

Postby robbo » 01 Feb 2011, 16:16

Various tunings are always a great starting point for people taking on slide playing.. (much easier to sound good on slide but then overtones can be a problem til muting is mastered) ..also a higher action ..heavier gauge strings etc.
Once that string muting.. vibrato.. and the sense of being "light with the touch" on slide is mastered a lot of folks tend to go back to standard tuning and a more standard action.. but practice is the only real key for good sliding.. :) ..something that I never seem to get enough of..
some slide tunings ..(http://slide.neonblade.com/images/chords/tunings.jpg) :)
...and how not to play slide: .. LOL ..me having a twang
ROBBO..
..I don't like hip-hop music.. and I don't mean to denigrate those who do...
..And to those people who like hip-hop music.. denigrate means 'to put down'..

kerrpow
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 34 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby kerrpow » 02 Feb 2011, 05:06

+1 inca roads.

glass and metal slides have two distinct tones, glass a little "softer" ( not volume) sound while metal ( brass,chrome ) has more "bite" to it.

just my opinion. buy a few diffrent ones metal and ( thick) glass, hear what sounds best for what's in your head.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Kyle » 02 Feb 2011, 17:10

I think Sonny Landreth did an instructional slide video. Doesn't get much better than him..

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby robbo » 02 Feb 2011, 17:21

Sonny Landreth is the epitome of great sliding.. he's a freak!! ...(said in the best possible way) :cowbell
ROBBO..

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 02 Feb 2011, 19:17

kerrpow wrote:+1 inca roads.

glass and metal slides have two distinct tones, glass a little "softer" ( not volume) sound while metal ( brass,chrome ) has more "bite" to it.

just my opinion. buy a few diffrent ones metal and ( thick) glass, hear what sounds best for what's in your head.
I have a glass, a metal & a ceramic. All have different tone and feel. I actually think I like the ceramic the best, not as clean as glass but not as harsh as metal.

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby robbo » 02 Feb 2011, 19:43

..personally I think it depends on a few factors.. who or what you're trying replicate..(if any) ..whether you're using buckers or single poles (or even lipsticks if thats your thang) ..sustain.. type of amp etc. etc... I like glass personally ..'cos I can get a metallic thing happening as well by riding the tone levels.. :)
ROBBO..

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Kyle » 03 Feb 2011, 13:20

robbo wrote:Sonny Landreth is the epitome of great sliding.. he's a freak!! ...(said in the best possible way) :cowbell

I agree, he is one of very few players I heard and thought, wow, I have never heard anything like that before.

Return to “Roadhouse Technique”