The JMD1, why I have redundancy and things live....

JMD1 Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Road King Police
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

The JMD1, why I have redundancy and things live....

Postby Road King Police » 22 Jun 2013, 00:16

Finally, I gig tonight. I was reminded of redundancy, if you can afford it, if you can carry it. I carry three amps: JMD:50, JCM800 4104 and an Ultimate Tube amp. JMD goes through a 4x12 flatty Marshall, JCM is a 2x12 combo, Ultimate Tube amp goes through an oversize 2x12 Bogner. I'll save you the schematic rendition, suffice it to say, the left side of my stereo rig went south, was left with the JCM800 and the JMD. Boo hoo, I didn't have my stereo on stage spread. Bottom line, i had the JMD for it's thing, and the dirty/echo ambient/metal channel with the 800. Had I not had redundancy, which was a stereo second channel, I wouldn't have had redundancy. I'd have lost the ability to have my second set up I use for part of my core sound layering. Worth a thought to those who consider such things. It's like, if your using wireless for vocals, have 3 back ups in case.....it can ruin a potential great musical moment without. Thoughts......

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Re: The JMD1, why I have redundancy and things live....

Postby sikter » 22 Jun 2013, 00:47

I know one thing for sure: if you got buckup rig >> you're not gonna need it.
Shit happens only in worst case scenario, when you don't have plan B.
:dunno

GuitarBuilder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 288 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby GuitarBuilder » 22 Jun 2013, 13:11

Sounds like the Ultimate is not exactly that......
Marshall 6100LM - 1960A Cab/G12T75
Marshall JVM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
Marshall JTM-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12H30
Marshall JMP-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12M20
Marshall JCM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/Vintage 30
Marshall DSL-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
BOSS Katana 100W Head

Kemper Profiler Rack

Custom Rockman Stage Head
Rockman Superhead 100W
Custom ADA MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2 Stage Head

Roland GR-20, GR-55, VG-99, BOSS GP-10, SY-300 Synths

Lots of Les Paul's and Strats

Road King Police
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Road King Police » 23 Jun 2013, 12:09

Actually, it's been a fantastic amp, other than naming an amp as Ultimate, not sure there is one, but the designer of the amp in Vancouver is a really good guy, took care of me when I cracked the fx loop rice checks board. He believes in service, Yukong does. The direct out on the amp is simply the best. The amp switcher, when needed, is off the hook too. What went wrong during the last gig I have yet to investigate because of other musical priorities and the fact that I built redundancy into my rig which was the point of the post for discussion.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 24 Jun 2013, 11:45

I love CYA in these situations; thats excellent you have this ability. Back in the mid 90's I was playing at the "Bar with no name" in Hartford CT and during this time period my main amp was the 5150. I was experimenting with floor effect units and had a Digitec RP-1 and it was a great unit for the time. I went straight into the back of the 5150 bypassing the preamp of the amp. During a break in the show a drunk comes on stage and we start chatting he bends over to check out the unit and pours his drink all over the unit. It got real bright and then smoked and died. I did not have the time to get pissed so I ran to the truck and grabbed the pedals I always carry with me, delay, chorus, wah and talkbox. After all was said and done the drunk actually did me a favor since this showed me what I was missing using the 5150 the old way.

Now I do not allow anyone near my shit with any type of open container..........

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

TwinACStacks
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 149 times
Been liked: 232 times

Postby TwinACStacks » 24 Jun 2013, 11:49

:Scotland I don't get it. If You have a JMD1 the ONLY backup you need is ANOTHER JMD1.

JMHO

:Scotland :Scotland TWIN
I swear it's going to get warm sometime.

Reality is for those with no imagination

Resident Grumpy Old Fart and occasional Viking.....

skinnyj
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 547 times
Been liked: 864 times

Postby skinnyj » 24 Jun 2013, 11:51

I run a 4104 combo into two 2x12s when I gig. I always bring my little Class 5 just in case. If something goes wonky with the 4104, I can always plug the C5 into the cabs and mic it. It beats running my pedal board directly into the mixer.
AX8
Marshall Class 5
ADA MP-1 (Version 1)
Line6 AX-212
2018 Gibson Firebird
1987 Les Paul Standard
2009 American Standard Strat
2015 PRS SE Torero
2018 Schecter Solo II Custom
Takamine EG531SC Acoustic

My Band: Fistful of Karma

Road King Police
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Road King Police » 25 Jun 2013, 22:31

TwinACStacks, you may be like me and have owned your share of Marshalls and the rest. But the last amp i bought was the JMD50 and quite frankly, it might be my last, yuk yuk. Truly though, i'm using all of what has stayed with me, with some amps in disrepair that need to be repaired for one reason or another. I'm not searching for another JMD1 because it fits in the puzzle that I have. To skinnyj, love the 4104! Put the Sozo caps in mine...have a ramped up volume issue occasionally but it's the most Marshall of my Marshalls. Anyway, CYA is professional guitarest. Just this evening, I've added stereo Leslie tremelo units because I have one song that they'll 'fit'. And yet, more redundancy. Heck, I'm glad as hell to be able to load all this stuff up in my van and play at 55. I play at home and the road. I remember seeing Tom Scholtz's crew on stage trying to repair his pedal board with drills and soldering irons and thought 'why doesn't he have two boards, as complex as his shit is'? Live and learn and afford I guess.

TwinACStacks
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 149 times
Been liked: 232 times

Postby TwinACStacks » 27 Jun 2013, 08:19

:Scotland I know King, I was just yanking your chain. It's always best to be prepared, rather then facepalm yourself in hindsight. Rock on Bro.

:Scotland :Scotland TWIN
I swear it's going to get warm sometime.

Reality is for those with no imagination

Resident Grumpy Old Fart and occasional Viking.....

Return to “Marshall JMD1”