Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Woodhead
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 173 times

Preamp topology

Postby Woodhead » 25 Sep 2013, 14:28

How did they model a few of these preamps from something real ? As in preamp #5 .
Entire 1974 amp with no feedback into a dummy load with the 1959’s tonestack
I know it's only rock and roll , but I like it .

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Preamp topology

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Sep 2013, 15:00

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Woodhead
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Woodhead » 25 Sep 2013, 15:23

From Surfs link - The core of the technology captures the exact harmonics of each amplifier .

Is there a way to run a 1974 into a dummy load and then into a 1959 tonestack ?
I know it's only rock and roll , but I like it .

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Sep 2013, 16:17

I am sure they have some propriety software and procedure they use when capturing the amps voice.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 27 Sep 2013, 06:28

There are probably a lot of ways to create a preamp/amp model. One current product, the Kemper, has a function where you can record an amp's tone (even something off a record), and it can create an algorithm to recreate that amp's tone. Or you can use it to model a live amp in order to clone its tones. Many players swear by the Kemper.

Another process would be to recreate components and their sonic characteristics in software. You could then assemble a virtual amp in software, and model how those components would interact in a real amp.

Of course the various modeler developers will not give out hard information on how they do what they do. The Softube description, while interesting, reads to me as sales/marketing fluff and does not at all give real hints of what they do. That is normal for most high tech manufacturers.

I am curious as to why the folks at Marshall picked nonexistent amps to model (like in the OP), as well as standard amps with pedals in front. I really wish they would have included models of obvious EL34 based vintage amps like the 50W and 100W Super Leads.

Wouldn't it be cool if in future Marshall modeling amps, if they made presets to correspond with famous player's amp tones? Have a preset for the Hendrix Super Lead tone, another for Angus Young, yet another for Garry Moore, and throw in Page's SRTS tone. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Sep 2013, 08:39

The Kemper is really good. When I push it into my slave amp its about as good as it gets for any tone.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Road King Police
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Road King Police » 27 Sep 2013, 21:03

Demos of the Kemper....seemed pretty sterile, lifeless and little mojo.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”