Going 'Midi" on JMD:1 - Connector confusion... need HELP!

JMD1 Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

guitar_trance
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Going 'Midi" on JMD:1 - Connector confusion... need HELP!

Postby guitar_trance » 27 Feb 2014, 18:50

I want to ditch the Marshall footswitch that came with my JMD combo. Why? I play many different styles for $$$ and need more versatility in my rig such as more presets on one bank before having to switch banks (4 JMD:1 presets per bank is very limiting… otherwise, I like the footswitch) . Decided to pull out the ol' vintage ADA MP-1 midi foot controller (MC-1) and try it. Hadn't noticed my ADA MC-1 controller uses a 7-pin connector that will not even plug-in to the midi-in of the JMD:1. Obviously the JMD:1 has a 6-pin jack that I hadn't noticed either.

First of all, what type of "midi" cables/jack/adapters can be used with the JMD:1's 6-pin "midi-in" connector? Standard midi seems to be 5-pin, the JMD:1 is 6-pin and my ADA MC-1 uses what seems to be a proprietary 7-pin DIN connector which, isn't actually a midi cable if I'm to understand that correctly. (Although, believe little or none of what you may read on the web, and only half of what you actually see for yourself! :-P)

So is there a remedy for using my ADA MC-1 controller, or am I going to have to purchase another brand of midi controller for my JMD:1? Are there 5, 6, and/or 7-pin adapters out there somewhere? If they're there I'm not finding them. I've searched for a couple of hours now. I've found other types of custom adapters from a few sources but nothing that would indicate a remedy for my particular situation.

I can purchase a new controller. But I never had any problems with the MC-1 all of the years I used it and am still pretty familiar with it. Besides, it's just sitting around being all "vintagey" and stuff… thought I'd get some use out of it again.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I appreciate your time!

By the way ------> :chick <------ GREAT Emoticon… that's awesome! :-D

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Re: Going 'Midi" on JMD:1 - Connector confusion... need HELP

Postby P A U L » 27 Feb 2014, 21:23

I/m not that adventurous, so I'm not sure...

I like this one better, although, it's still disabled:

used to be :babe

goldsparkletop
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby goldsparkletop » 04 Mar 2014, 20:44

The JMD uses standard 5 pin MIDI. I know the manual (incorrectly) shows a drawing of a 6 pin MIDI jack, but if you look at the back of the amp itself, it's a 5 pin jack.

I've been using the Behringer FCB1010 and 5 pin MIDI cables with the JMD for almost two years now. No issues. And once you get used to 10 presets per bank, you won't want to go back to that Marshall pedal.

I'm not familiar with the ADA pedal, so I don't know if it's truly MIDI or a proprietary system. I did use an Egnater amp in the past that had a 7 pin MIDI jack; I used 5 pin MIDI cables with it and it worked fine. The extra pins on the Egnater were for phantom power, which I did not use.
Current live amp: JMD 50 watt head
Various Jackson, Kramer, BC Rich, and Gibson guitars
Amp history: Randall RM-4 Modular Tube Series, VHT power amp, Egnater TOL100, Carvin X-100B

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 11 Mar 2014, 14:24

From looking at pics on ebay, the MC1 has a 9VDC or AC power jack. If you use a compatible power supply with the MC1, and a standard 5 pin midi cable between the MC1 and the JMD, I am sure it will work perfectly.

The reason for the 2 extra pins on the MC1 is for remote powering. If you use a 7 pin cable between the MC1 and a MP1, you won't need to plug in a power supply to the MC1 as the MP1 will provide the power. But plug a supply into the MC1, and it will operate as a standard midi footswitch with any device that accepts midi program change commands, and will do this over a standard 5 pin midi cable.

Thavik
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Thavik » 13 Mar 2014, 12:09

I use the Rocktron RDMH900 5-pin to 7-pin midi cable with my JMD1 and Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro. The 5-pin end of the cable has an additional plug for AC power. I connect the power supply for my foot controller into this additional plug, and it allows me to use the phantom power feature of my foot controller.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”