Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LZBT
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Boss GT + JMD102 = nothing happens...

Postby LZBT » 10 Nov 2014, 07:03

I'm connecting a Boss GT-8 to my JMD102 - all cables properly checked (Send/Return on backside etc), guitar connected to front JMD102 input. But nothing happens when I activate Ext/FX on the front panel. Where did I go wrong? :think

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Boss GT + JMD102 = nothing happens...

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Nov 2014, 07:47

Not a good piece of gear to run with the JMD in the loop.

IF you use it run guitar> GT> GT Send> JMD Return

You will be then using the GT as the JMD preamp and using its poweramp only. Watch your send volume and your loop volume on the JMD.

Again, i do not recommend this setup
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 414 times
Been liked: 362 times

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 10 Nov 2014, 17:17

Hello and welcome to the forum. The JMD is an awesome amp, yours, I believe came with two different speakers over time. Read the forum here, tons of fantastic information. I have been through just about every post here. As far as the setup you are using goes, I use a similar setup.

First check the board and make sure it works. Then the amp, then cables. Next select a channel on the JMD that you use. Push the Ext/FX button to "on", sould be glowing red LED. Turn the mix knob in the back to the middle position. With nothing plugged in in the back, sweep the knob from wet to dry. It should be silent in wet, loudest in the middle and normal volume in dry. Plug a known good pedal and cable combination in there, repeat the sweep. Wet is all of the effect plus the JMD, in the middle is both equally, Dry is effect off. After that, then read this.....LINK If you have problems still, the amp needs servicing most likely.

I have used my pedal that I have in so many different combinations with the JMD I think my brain about melted. I don't think the Boss can even come close the quality of amp sims on the JMD. It really is that good. If you do try, I have used what surf said, see above, and then using channel 4, "Natural". With all EQs on 10 the resposne curve is identical to plugging in the back. No discernible difference between the two if the levels are set correctly and you have accesses to all the JMD internal effects as well.

I wish I had access to the four cable method, my pedal just doesn't have the option. I will tell you though, take your time with all of this. It is well worth your time. Search the JMD section for tip, clips, and many other useful items. I am not sure you will find a better group of people on a forum than Surf has here. Thanks again Surf!

BTW, Surf is the man with this amp, search his music on here. He has posted more music with this amp than anybody. I don't recommend using it as he stated either. It is like putting a two barrel carb on a V8. You can do it but why would anyone want to do that?

Post back with your results, I would like to hear about your progress.

LZBT
<25
<25

Postby LZBT » 13 Nov 2014, 02:11

Thanks "Surf" and "Jeff"! There's is certainly hope for mankind with that kind of quick and friendly advice.

First - I agree that the GT+JMD1 is not a match made in heaven. The JMD1 is a brilliant piece of equipment in its own right - I am ever so pleased. But the GT has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years now, so I thought I'd give it a try with the Marshall.

Found this bit of info, which looks accurate. http://jimcornelius.wordpress.com/2010/ ... l-sort-of/. Tried both methods, but still ends up with an fizzy, over-distorted tone, especially with the 4CM. Turning the output level on the GT down to a minimun doesn't solve the problem. Headphone tone is as always OK. Also tried the different output alternatives on the GT.

Any more suggestion to my problem? Otherwise I'll settle with it not being a problem. The JMD1 doesn't really need the GT, that's true. (Been offered a used Fender Twin Custom 68 - that might work better?)

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Postby Alpeggio » 13 Nov 2014, 04:26

I understand you LZBT, you have some older gear and would like to think it is still of use.
I have a GT3 that I sometimes get out, and I would only use it now for the FX in the loop, and even then, I have a TC Nova unit which is better in all respects other than it not having a variable sweep pedal.

The bottom line is, unless there is an FX you like on the GT8, it has had its day, and you should move forward. You, just like me with the GT3, will find you are wasting your time with this.
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 13 Nov 2014, 06:58

Welcome LZBT,
I own GT8 too. I am technical nerd and I know a lot about different gadgets.
But I don't use GT8 live.
I use it at home for many different purposes but I don't see any reason for me using it live (unless I'm going to play gig with no backline like Metallica did at Antarctica)
I'm not saying you shouldn't. I understand that you want to use it and I'm here to help you.
First you need to decide if you're going to use
1- JMD preamp section,
2- GT8 preamp section or
3-both.

1:
For GT8 preamps (read models) use JMD as power amp only. (Connect GT to JMD return input)
Select correct output model in GT.
Make your own patches while everything is connected to JMD with desired gig volume. (Do not use headphones for this job)
(Strat patches will not work great for Les Paul guitar)
Make patches for all your guitars.
FX Chain in GT is VERY important. Tweak FX order and try all over again.
Use EQ section of the patch properly.
Guitar volume doesn't have to be at 10 all the time.
There are many tricks that can bring your tone up.
I'll send you a pdf with details.

I am running late now. I will continue this post some other time.
Just let me know which of those 3 methods you prefer.

Hej då

EDIT: FILES Attached-----
look here
\/
Attachments
Boss GT-8 Brilliance SHORT.pdf
(105.14 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Boss GT-8 Brilliance.pdf
(567.35 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
:dunno

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 13 Nov 2014, 17:04

With all the wonderful options of the JMD why add anything to it at all?

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

LZBT
<25
<25

Postby LZBT » 14 Nov 2014, 09:22

Good grief!! That 96-page pdf-file is really something! Weeks of enjoyable bedtime reading - thanks a lot, Sikter!

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 414 times
Been liked: 362 times

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 14 Nov 2014, 14:42

With all the wonderful options of the JMD why add anything to it at all?
I have been avoiding directly addressing this very question for a while. So as to not offend or put any doubt in anyone's mind that this is not a fantastic amp. It has more to do with my nit picking nature rather than the usefulness or quality of the amp.

I started using the JMD100 almost two years ago now. It didn't come with a switching pedal but at $180 or so I didn't want to sink that kind of money into a pedal without a digital read out so I could read which patch I was using. Having heard many floor pedals and disliking almost all of them, I decided I kind of liked the ToneLab, best of the budget minded ones I have heard. So I ordered it with the head for $120, $60 savings, I had a switcher and something to mess around with on occasion. When I first used the amp with the pedal it was just a switcher with a digital readout. Awesome.

After re-tubing and biasing the amp, I just wanted more. I wanted to mimic the sounds I heard in my head on the overdrive channels. I got so very close but......not close enough. I was using channel 16 for my main distortion sound for a good long while. That worked very well but sounded like a Marshall.....best when the volume is shaking my pant legs. For most situations that I am putting the JMD into, that is not a workable situation. So I had to find a work around. I did a couple simple mods and started to use the built in OD pedals in the Vox to boost the JCM800 sounds. This is where it worked best for me, one pedal tap to switch channels and turn on the boost. Totally sweet for me, I was so sick of pedal tap dancing. This amp really delivers it that respect.

There are some other things like, being able to put effects into the front of the amp, which I never tried before and wanted to experiment. Greater flexibility in adjusting effects. Wider selection of effects and the ability to put my favorite pedal in the insert section of the ToneLab and be able to program the insert on or off and access it without multiple pedal taps. I think being able to read my patch was the most important as well as being able to program 128 patches for multiple guitars, tunings and songs.

I am very content with this setup but I am craving the ability to have different speakers/cab available to really explore some more channels. I am so happy to finally have the balls out distortion that my valvestate has, better cleans than my Vibrolux, better crunch than my Shredmaster, volume boost without using an effects loop, great reverb, nearly silent operation, no pedal tap dancing and most important for me.....I still can play my favorite brand of amps......Marshall Forever. :jam

Return to “Marshall JMD1”