Moderator: longfxukxnhair

colchar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 25 times
Been liked: 44 times

JMD 50 Watt Combo Questions/Info

Postby colchar » 10 Apr 2015, 00:03

I'm considering picking up a Marshall JMD 50 watt combo and figured I should ask for some info here.

First some background - I play blues, classic rock, a little '80s metal (just for fun), and am learning to play slide. I do not play out and 95% of my playing is done at home. I might jam with some friends once in a blue moon (just screwing around in the garage) but that is it.

The 50 watts that this amp delivers is more than I need but I am wondering how it sounds at low volumes? Also, how does the amp do at achieving JMP and JTM type tones?

Basically what I am looking for is an amp that delivers those classic Marshall tones and thought this model might be a good route to go because of its versatility and ability to deliver so many different tones. But if it sounds like crap at low volumes or cannot hit the JMP and JTM tones then it isn't the amp for me.

Finally, the store I deal with has one of the combos available in its chain for $350 and I was wondering if this is a reasonable price for this amp?

Basically I would appreciate as much info as possible on this model before I ask my store to bring it in from the other location.

Thanks in advance.
:Canada

:Scotland

----------
"All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks"

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 414 times
Been liked: 362 times

Re: JMD 50 Watt Combo Questions/Info

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 10 Apr 2015, 16:48

You can do way worse for $350 IMO. I have the 100 watt head version, great amp, fun amp and is quite useful. You can get some classic and non-classic sounds on it. People say it sounds good at low volumes and better loud. I am not sure about the JMP or JTM sounds. Try reading this: http://marshallroadhouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10838 and the attachment.

bigboki
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 713 times
Been liked: 152 times

Postby bigboki » 16 Apr 2015, 21:11

colchar wrote:I'm considering picking up a Marshall JMD 50 watt combo and figured I should ask for some info here.

Finally, the store I deal with has one of the combos available in its chain for $350 and I was wondering if this is a reasonable price for this amp?

Basically I would appreciate as much info as possible on this model before I ask my store to bring it in from the other location.

Thanks in advance.
Hello, I see amp gone from l&m site. I hope you got it. It is absolutely wonderful amp. And price is absolutely ridiculously good.

Sincerely yours
Bojan

Edselman
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Edselman » 21 Feb 2016, 17:45

I've owned a JMD 501 for about three years and play it exclusively at home. The only time I crank it is when my wife is away. It's the only amp I've owned that sounds just about the same at very low volumes as it does opened up. However, to feel it move air and shake the house is glorious. I love this amp! I have run it through an attenuator (Weber Mass) and the attenuator isn't necessary.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 Feb 2016, 18:27

Unlike all valve amps the preamp in the JMD1 can make lots of distortion at low low levels. You still get that nice power valve sound but it is easier to get a driven sound with the digital preamp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”