Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 414 times
Been liked: 362 times

A little Rant

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 17 Dec 2015, 18:43

I haven't play my JMD in a little bit, I played it today. I am still so very satisfied with this amp. What gets my goat is that this amp deserved better, corporate totally blew this one. This head should have been made in the U.K. with proper tolex, wood and a face plate that wasn't so off colored compared to other Marshalls. It would have been nice to have a few more bells and whistles as well. I can't even imagine what Steve had for ideas for this only to have corporate cheapen it. Sure, this is merely conjecture but seeing the justice they have given Steve's Astoria Series, I don't think I am far off. Ok, rant over.

After buying a 6100 and recently a TSL 100, this amp clearly beats both of them. Granted I modded it ever so slightly but it is still a fantastic amp. The 6100 is second and the TSl 100 is third. I don't even have the time to type about how frustrating the TSL 100 is. That amp is kind of a disaster, IMHO. I will eventually mod this thing to get what I want from it though. It will be a backup for the JMD for now and maybe a long time from now. The 6100 will be well taken care of in my studio. It is a pretty great amp and I don't see them often locally for sale. I really don't want to ruin that amp gigging with it.

Thanks again Steve, hopefully your amp designing days aren't behind you yet.

Edit: read below.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: A little Rant

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Dec 2015, 19:13

The JMD1 is a very underrated amp, however today the word is out and they are getting harder to find. I got one of the first when it was launched, I told guys just how good and flexible it was and took a bit of shit over that. I agree Marshall could have done a much better job promoting this amp but its of no consequence to me anymore. It is a very good amp for many things.

About your TSL100. I have had mine since the late 90s (new), I can tell you that this is one amp where you find good ones and some not so good ones, thus its reputation. I have one of the real good one, so good I have never sold it.

If you love your JMD why not have the guys at http://sourmashguitarcabs.com/ build you a custom birch cabinet for it. All their cabs are custom built to fit.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Woodhead
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Woodhead » 18 Dec 2015, 14:27

I really like my JMD . I'm sure they will have to come up with something around those lines to compete with some of the competitors offerings . In all reality , it's the way of the future , if there is a future .
I know it's only rock and roll , but I like it .

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 20 Dec 2015, 05:50

surfnorthwest wrote:The JMD1 is a very underrated amp, however today the word is out and they are getting harder to find. I got one of the first when it was launched, I told guys just how good and flexible it was and took a bit of shit over that. I agree Marshall could have done a much better job promoting this amp but its of no consequence to me anymore. It is a very good amp for many things.
I can see why you like the cleans, they are quite good in the JMD. Yes they are getting harder to find, it is a testament to what they have done. It would be nice if they were as ubiquitous as an 800 or DSL tho.
About your TSL100. I have had mine since the late 90s (new), I can tell you that this is one amp where you find good ones and some not so good ones, thus its reputation. I have one of the real good one, so good I have never sold it.
Well, this one is from '99 I think, it has the original board and doesn't seem to have bias drift issues. It was pretty well taken care of it really doesn't have a mark on it. $500 well spent but a JCM amp should have been executed a little better. The switching is awful, I can't stand the ducking circuit, going from clean to OD with a volume swell is totally unacceptable. The voicing could be a little better, I need to find the most current REV. for the schematics and make sure all the grid blocking? resistors ( should be 5.6k ? ) and all the others are the correct value. The reverb tank was already replaced. With a few mods ( choke, anti-fizz, ducking bypass/switching) it has some serious potential though.
If you love your JMD why not have the guys at http://sourmashguitarcabs.com/ build you a custom birch cabinet for it. All their cabs are custom built to fit.
I don't know about "Love" I am in serious "like" with this head. A JVMHJS might be my "Love" amp. I don't think I will have to mod that one. :think I don't think I will find one, ever, for under a thousand. I can't justify spending so much money unless I am gigging constantly, I have owned quite a few cars that cost less.I have been thinking about getting a shell for some time now.I have been worrying about the box cracking. I did get a road case with the 6100 for free though, cracking shouldn't be an issue now, just an aesthetic one. Thanks!

jeffsmusic4919
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 28 Feb 2016, 10:47

After buying a 6100 and recently a TSL 100, this amp clearly beats both of them.
Well, I have finally mostly bonded with the 6100. I should have said, " For what I need it for and without pedals, the JMD is better". I didn't realize the buffers in the VOX Midi effects pedal buffered the signal as much as it did. It is able to take away most of the digitalness from the JMD. Doing a direct A/B comparison without the pedal it is somewhat noticeable. I am still having some issues with the 6100 but I am pretty pleased that with quite a few pedals it is what I need.

skinnyj
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 547 times
Been liked: 864 times

Postby skinnyj » 28 Feb 2016, 11:15

I had a TSL-60 and I hated that amp. The clean channel had no headroom, the third channel was way too gainy and mushy, but the second channel was good. The reverb was weak and the FX loop was lousy. Why they only put the series/parallel option on the '100, I'll never understand. :bang
AX8
Marshall Class 5
ADA MP-1 (Version 1)
Line6 AX-212
2018 Gibson Firebird
1987 Les Paul Standard
2009 American Standard Strat
2015 PRS SE Torero
2018 Schecter Solo II Custom
Takamine EG531SC Acoustic

My Band: Fistful of Karma

Return to “Marshall JMD1”