Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Initial JDM 100 thoughts and impressions

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 27 Feb 2010, 01:33

surfnorthwest wrote:Just bought a second JMD 100
Surf you seem to have money coming out of your ass!

Can you buy me one for a late Birthday Present? lol
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 27 Feb 2010, 04:35

surfnorthwest wrote:Also by recording direct like this you need to have the master volume all the way turned down unless you choose to moniter your playing from the cabinet instead of the studio monitors.
Surf, if you are recording from the emulated out you don't even have to bother turning the standby on. The digital preamp doesn't require any HT voltage! If you look at the standby switch it is labeled 'silent recording' which means don't bother switching it on. Everything else is completely functional from just the power switch alone, only the valve power amp needs the standby switched to on. :Thumbs

This also means you don't even have to hook it up to a cab because the power amp is not enabled.
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Feb 2010, 05:26

Surf, if you are recording from the emulated out you don't even have to bother turning the standby on. The digital preamp doesn't require any HT voltage! If you look at the standby switch it is labeled 'silent recording' which means don't bother switching it on. Everything else is completely functional from just the power switch alone, only the valve power amp needs the standby switched to on.

This also means you don't even have to hook it up to a cab because the power amp is not enabled.
No kidding, I was worried about the head always having a load. So what this means then is I can use my QSCs monitors
which have a built in 1000 watt amp instead of a cabinet. Head>XLR>mixer>QSC speakers :Thumbs I have a set of these monitors up at the cabin so I guess I will just use those or even headphones....NICE

The last Marshall I had that had the emulated line out was a TSL and it did not sound very good at all, this works perfect for direct recording. Thanks Steve.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HarleyMan
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby HarleyMan » 27 Feb 2010, 07:21

Too funny Steve, took two reads before I got the true meaning of 'highest Grandfather'. Good one onya'!

Sorry to say, the guys at my repair shop laugh when someone brings in a Mackie. Somehow, that pic just ain't right. Like Eric Clapton playing only acoustic guitar.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Feb 2010, 07:53

Great little mixer, I use it to plug my iPhone into it then drive those monitors. It will be easy now to run the XLR from the JMD into it also. Mackie mixers are not that bad...
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 27 Feb 2010, 21:43

surfnorthwest wrote:
Spotted Dog wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:Just bought a second JMD 100, loving this amp for the price.
:eek

OK I'll bite... "Why?"
To take up to the cabin, I was going to get a Class 5 but that amp scares me and I love this one.
You dawg! Rock out with those forest nymphs, heh heh.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 42 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Gonzo » 27 Feb 2010, 22:02

Hey Surf, now that you're gonna have *2* jdm100's, do you still not need your Metro Superlead?? Is this amp really that good? It must be, if you just bought another....ahhh, I think I want to be Surf in my next lifetime..maybe once the kids are outta the house hehehe : )

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Feb 2010, 07:11

No I would never sell that Metro, there is something about that tone that is just so pure. It is more of a collection piece as I use it very little because it is so fricking loud. No I am impressed with the the JMD big time and really think this is the future of guitar amps.

After spending a good 3-4 days now with the amp I am recording my latest song with it. I was recording direct with it but decided to just stick with mic'ing it up. Can really find nothing about it I do not like. I would love to see one big improvement to it though.

I would like to see a software interface where you can configure your settings on the PC and then export them into the midi footswitch. Also what this would do is allow users to easily share presets they made. Not a big deal to manually set them up.

But for now I will stop pimping the new amp, I am absolutly sure that once people try these they will be impressed, not all but most will. Again this really is the best all-in-one amp I have played and can't help but think how awesome this amp would be for any player doing cover tunes. It also is the ultimate amp for the studio with its silent recording option.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Tube_Tone
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Tube_Tone » 03 Mar 2010, 19:34

OK, I've been lurking awhile because I think I might be interested in the Vintage Modern, but all this sudden praise for the JDM has piqued my curiosity.
So my question is, if you had to buy only one amp, which would it be? The JDM or the Vintage Modern. Also, can the JDM capture any of the Vintage Modern's vibe?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Mar 2010, 19:55

Tube_Tone wrote:OK, I've been lurking awhile because I think I might be interested in the Vintage Modern, but all this sudden praise for the JMD has piqued my curiosity.
So my question is, if you had to buy only one amp, which would it be? The JDM or the Vintage Modern. Also, can the JDM capture any of the Vintage Modern's vibe?
First no, it will not nail the VM tone but it will nail other classic Marshalls and get close to the VM but this amp has EL34s and not KT66s and so close is all its going to get. I would choose it over the VM if I were gigging or didn't want to spend a bunch of money on pedals after I bought a amp, the effects in the JMD are great.

There is only one Vintage Modern, but the JMD can give you voices from classic plexis, DSL, JCM 800s, Bluesbreakers as well as some great heavy metal stuff from the Mode 4. I would never sell my VM as it is so much of my sound, but without a question the JDM is way more versitle in so many ways, louder, and built in effects. Ignore the fact that it costs less too.

So here it comes.... you have to try both and decide for yourself which is better, I highly highly recommend having both.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Initial JMD 100 thoughts and impressions

Postby SteveD » 04 Mar 2010, 03:39

Welcome to the forum Tube_Tone. :Thumbs

The Vintage Modern and the JMD are different beasts to suit different scenarios. For example, if you are playing in a covers band with a wide range of material I would suggest the JMD would facilitate your needs more. If you play in a band where you just want your sound and your sound alone, then the Vintage Modern may be the order of the day.

It is wise to try them both to see which has the sound that you prefer whatever your situation though!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Return to “Marshall JMD1”